In This Moment

(JIANG)

I sighed in exasperation when Mr.Dee told me who Mei's visitor is. I dismissed the estate manager and strode to the green room where Mei meets my grandmother.

"Ah, you are finally here." Grandmother gave me a tight smile. "Can you convince Mei here to let me take a look at your daughter? All I receive from him is a resounding no when I expressed my desire to see a glimpse of your daughter."

Last month, I told my family that Mei and I adopted a daughter. No one in my family were surprised because they all already had a whiff on a rumor about my daughter.

I looked at my lover who calmly sip his tea. Mei didn't even return my stare. I sat next to my lover and took his free hand in a comforting hold. "Where is our ShuYin?" I asked my lover.

"Sleeping in her room," Mei said. "Taking her afternoon nap."

"See, ShuYin is sleeping." I said to my grandmother. "Your timing in visiting is not perfect, Grandmother."

"Can't you wake her up? Her elder is here..." Grandmother sneered.

Ugh! She is tiring me already. "ShuYin has a system on her little body. If we wake her up, she will make a fuss and cry because she didn't get enough sleep. I don't think your delicate hearing will appreciate a child crying in full volume, Grandmother. Do yourself, my daughter and us a favor...don't insist on waking ShuYin up if it's not yet her time to wake up."

"You have a problematic child then, Jiang. What system are you talking about? She is a baby. What does she know?" Grandmother gave our a ladylike snort of disbelief.

"She knows when she is being rudely awaken." I said in a firm tone. "Just think that our daughter is bright that way. Believe us because we are her parents, we know our daughter the best. ShuYin will wake up, when it's time for her to wake up and not one second earlier."

Mei gave me a grateful look. I squeezed his hand in mine. I turned my focus back to my grandmother. "But you don't have to worry Grandmother, I will soon take ShuYin to our ancestral home to meet all of you. I will inform our other relatives so you can gaze upon my daughter's beauty all at once. Just a caution, do try not to overwhelm her. Like you said, she is still a baby."

My grandmother stared at us for some tension filled moments before she nodded. "Very well, I will take that deal. Take your daughter to me so I can gaze at her."

Mei and I breathed sighs of relief. But it proved to be celebrating too soon because my grandmother is still not done.

"What about our other deal? Should I start looking for a woman to carry your heir?" She asked.

Mei grew still beside me. I felt pure hatred rising on my chest. My teeth started gnashing together. "I will discuss that matter with you some other time. Now, I think you got everything you came here for." I pulled Mei to stand up with me. "I hope the rest of your day will not be as disappointing as your afternoon here in our estate, Grandmother." Mei and I bowed to her before we left the green room. On our way to our daughter's room, we bumped to Mrs.Hwang and I asked her to escort my grandmother out of our home.

"Will do, Master Jiang." Mrs.Hwang moved quickly to do my bidding.

I turned to Mei who smiled at me. I felt relieve in seeing that smile on his face. "I apologize for my grandmother, if she gave you unnecessary grief." I said to my lover.