Construction

(JIANG)

I failed to confess to Mei about my "side" business. The Great Buddha knows that I tried but I failed.

In so many ways.

I think Mei knows about my plan to "marry" him. That's the only plan I had talked with Wang Qing. And if Dayu overheard us talking, then there is a big chance that that former assassin had confided to Mei about my plan.

That's okay. I intended it to be a surprise but if Mei knows about my plan to bind us together, it's not that bad of an idea. I have to ask his hand sooner anyway.

But my problem is my other "secret". The secret the head of our family had held for hundreds of years. Our status. Our name. We enjoyed it because of our "secret".

A secret that I thought I only know until my grandmother summoned me for a talk.

"I know about the mission the Imperial Crown had bestowed on our family." She said while sitting confidently on a chair in my father's old office.

I felt shaken for a moment, until I remembered that we have a procedure for things like this. Once another person learned about our "side" business.

"I don't understand what you mean, Grandmother..."

"Your job...of delivering messages from the Emperor's spies to him. I know all about it." Grandmother said serenely. "I know that the Jiang's had been playing as the Imperial's "messenger" for generations now."

Silence filled the office space.

I smiled at my grandmother, "You are trudging into dangerous territories, Grandmother..."

My grandmother chuckled humorlessly. "I will tell you what I told your lover when we first met. Look at me, WuBao. I am old already. Frail, tired and eager for death. Nothing scares me now."

"Then why not spend your life in silence as you await death, Grandmother?" I asked her bluntly.

"Where will be the joy in that?" My grandmother smiled at me. "I was given to this family against my will. But I learned to love the Jiang's values and traditions. I became part of this family. I love my children. My grandchildren, I adore you all..."

"Then why are you doing this to me?!" I asked in frustration.

"Because you cannot hold that position without giving something up, WuBao." My grandmother replied sharply. "You think you can lead this family and not sacrifice something? Your grandfather sacrifices his pride, your father sacrifices his dreams to lead this family. You...what have you sacrificed?"

"Can't I lead this family without sacrificing anything?" I inquired curiously. "I will do a good job, grandmother. I know I can lead this family..."

"And when you die...who will lead this family after you?" Grandmother asked.

"My cousins can reproduce..."

"Have you told your uncles about this "work" you do for the Imperial family?" Grandmother cut my words.

I stayed silent. Because no one knows. It's the utmost importance that no one knows that some of our traders serve as messengers for the Emperor to his spies and vice versa. Even I deliver and took messages when I am travelling.

"Does your lover know?" Grandmother asked.

I sighed. "No..." I failed to tell Mei about my family's secret.

Grandmother snickered delicately, "And you professed to love him? Admit it, WuBao. You may love that man but your loyalty is in this family and our name. You may defy every elders in this family for that lover of yours but I know you won't let our name sunk in disgrace..."