Direct Line

(MEI)

Captain Jiang's father has died. Last night, someone banged on the door of our temporary lodgings here in Beijing to deliver the news that Jiang's father has finally passed away after battling a sickness that slowly ate away Council Jiang's strength.

My lover was subsequently summoned to his family's ancestral home to oversee his father's remains and receive his just inheritance.

Captain Jiang is the sole male heir of his father. His father was the oldest of five siblings, three males and two females. He was the patriach of the Jiang family for over two decades. Jiang has uncles, uncles in law, aunts, aunts in law and a grandmother that are all alive, ready to advice the next patriach of the family. He also got a sister, cousins, nephews and nieces that will now take their lead and order from my lover.

Jiang had two older brothers but they both died due to sickness. Jiang's oldest brother had died just two years ago, making Captain Jiang next in line to hold the patriach role in their family.

Captain Jiang's father was a member of the Imperial Council and helped to clean Governor Feng's name after the burning of the HanZong military base where Dayu took his revenge on General Zong and General Wang who both lost their lives in that incident.

My lover's father also helped in keeping Captain Wang's name and his family clear of any treasonous charge.

Counsel Jiang was a wise man. Some would even say fair and tolerable. Diplomatic. But for all the good qualities of the man, one thing Captain Jiang's father couldn't tolerate is his son's affair with me.

That's why Captain Jiang decided to leave the Capital and continued being a simple soldier in Heilongjiang, to escape his father's continuous criticisms on our relationship and to be with me as I looked after Dayu while my cousin was punishing himself and his lover for that incident in HanZong.

But now that Dayu and Captain Wang are back into each other's arms, living happily in the spacious estate Captain Wang prepared for my cousin, the reasons for our continuous stay in the Northeast side of the land are diminishing.

Dayu is staying in the Capital, and frankly I want to be close to him. Especially now that I also have fallen in love with Dayu's children that he acquired through being with his lover. Dayu's children are a delight to have around. Wang Dao is an active boy with lots of questions that are challenging to answer and Wang Hua is a shy sweet girl who tugs on my heartstrings the moment I met her.

I can honestly say that I want to stay in the Capital now to be closer to my cousin and his children.

But the Capital also house Jiang's whole family. The people who are looking down at Captain Jiang's relationship with me. Disapproving it. Protesting to Captain Jiang about it.

I even once heard Captain Jiang's conversation with his two uncles about a month ago when we accepted Captain Wang's request that we look after the twins when he and Dayu travelled to HuBei to do Buddha knows what.

"You are as bad as your friend General Wang in your choice of lover. Look at your friend, building that ridiculous estate as his monument for that man who is posing as his estate manager..."

Captain Jiang cackled humorlessly, "I suggest you say that to the man who will soon hold the position of the Emperor's Defense Strategist. An advice Uncle, don't repeat those words to anyone or you will incur Qing's annoyance and frankly, our friendship might not be enough for me to save you..."

My lover's uncle scoffed, "Of course I would never start a rumor about General Wang. I don't care about who your friend fuck in his bed. Our concern is for you. You are your father's heir. You will inherit the Jiang's name and legacy. Our business and influence. You should consider your future more seriously, Nephew."