Chapter 8 ~ Earth

Your POV 

You're just the puppet, serving the puppet master.

The thought had been probing my head all day long, right up till now. What on Earth did Hannah mean by that? I glance sideways at her direction, giving her a curious glance, but it was returned as a dark glare.

Sighing silently, I returned back to the math equation I had been working on. Usually I'm one of the top at math, but today the equation looked like total gibberish. My forehead crinkled as I stared blankly at the neatly written inked-out words, black against the gridded paper. e = (3.4) - 4n + - 4cf. Plain gibberish. 

'Hey, (y/n), you okay?' Layla asked me softly, the tip of her pencil tapping my blazer in order to gain my attention. 'You're usually good at this sort of stuff.'

'Yeah, yeah, I'm fine,' I quickly replied, maybe a little too quickly. Making something up on the spot, I yawned loudly, stretching my arms in all different directions before slumping in my chair. 'Just tired.'

'Oh, okay,' Layla nodded, satisfied with this answer. She returned back to her paper and the atmosphere was silent. Hannah glanced up at me again before rolling her eyes and returning back to her paper. 

'Is something the matter, Miss (l/n)?' enquired Mrs. Norris, our elderly math teacher who had a shock of pink, fairy-floss hair.

'Nothing, Mrs. Norris.'

I slowly shifted my attention back to the blue and white gridded paper, the whole classroom completely silent now. Blinking, I stared at the equation some more. 

What did Hannah mean by that?

-----------------------

It was lunch. One o'clock. The dinging bells rang through the quiet school, announcing the arrival of lunch. Which meant the thought had been bothering me all day. Gathering my books, I ran out of the classroom, towards my lilac locker.

Opening it, a whiff of lavender floated through my nostrils, causing my to sigh happily at the scent of my favorite flower. I stood back for a moment and admired my locker. It had a white-and-lilac theme, which matched perfectly to the school's colours. I placed my books in the three trays lined up the top quarter, using the alternating colours.

My bag was hung on a washi-taped hook, taking up the remainder of the space. I hummed softly as I returned my pencil case to one of the three hooks that hung on the inside of the locker door. The straw hat, and some keys occupied the others.

Reaching into the back corner, I opened up my stash of makeup and snacks as we spent most of our lunch reapplying makeup in the bathroom while eating. A little burst of pride echoed throughout me, proud of myself for keeping my locker neat and tidy this year.

A second bell rang throughout the crowded corridor, reminding me of where I needed to be. Slamming the door, I dashed my way towards the school cafeteria.

As I entered the white-washed room, scents of curry, rice, sushi and spring rolls floated through the air. Asian Monday. Cafeterias was something Australia didn't really have, being an American thing. Our school was probably the only one who had a cafeteria. But all the same, the cafeteria didn't really look like a cafeteria.

More like a restaurant, with the gold-and-white décor, and the circular tables with embroided table clothes. Grabbing a bit of everything, I carefully made my way to the back center of the room, where a table fit for twelve people was positioned beside a golden tapestry. My forehead crinkled as I noticed at least four people missing. 

'Where's Chanel, Ashley, Celeste, Lilian, Layla and Harper?' I asked the sitting members of the group. A few joined me frowning, confused as well.