Chapter 17 ~ Both

Shu's POV 

'Woah.'

That was all I could say as Ashtem led me into the underground chamber. I've been with Snake Pit for over a month now to know that there was something big going on. I hadn't been allowed to see it personally, but I knew what it was for. After driving Valt and co. out of Snake Pit, Ashtem finally agreed to show me.

A dozen people wearing black overalls right to and fro, all busy with a job. Bright lights shone overhead from the metal ceiling, illuminating the whole room. The cold, cement floor smelt oddly of petrol and sweat, as if somebody had mixed both of them together and dunked them all over the floor. Six aircrafts lined the walls, all looking extremely expensive and unique. But even that wasn't the biggest attraction. 

My mouth flung agape at the mother aircraft in the center. It was jet black and looked like a huge, unreal private jet with glowing purple light. The only unique thing was instead of a point at the front. it curved inwards like two pincers. And it seemed like the pincers were holding a huge orb, constantly swirling with iridescent purples, pinks and blues.

Gold Eye and Silver Eye stood inside the jet, just visible in the HQ by the tinted windows. But boy, was this massive. Even the small wheels on the bottom were bigger than me. It's must've taken ages to build this. It didn't even seem like something capable of a human's work. 

'Welcome to the Oculi Aircraft,' Ashtem smugly smirked, patting a wheel. 'I see you're impressed.'

'Who wouldn't be?' I replied as my eyes continued to take in magnificent piece of technology. 'How long did it take to build this?"

'About a year, Master Red Eye.'

My head swiveled around to where the voice came from. An old man with wrinkles etched in his face stood a few feet apart from us, decked out in a professional lab coat with a crisp badge that read "Dr. Tarver". His hair was an electric grey with a streak of scarlet on the side that reminded me sickeningly of blood.

However, that seemed like the only "off" thing about this man. His golden eyes looked as young as ever, full with charm and wonder. Throughout my time at Snake Pit, I had learnt that even though we seemed hostile, harsh and cruel on the outside, it was all to ward off the other greedy companies and people who would want to get their hands on this information, project and technology.

Even if it meant acting like that towards your friends. You couldn't risk anything. 

'Ah, I see that have heard about our new recruit,' said Ashtem with a hint of amusement as he walked towards Dr. Tarver. He patted the old man's shoulder before turning to me. 'Red Eye, this is Dr. Tarver. He the scientist that came up with this groundbreaking technology, including that sphere you saw on the ship. Assisting the building of the Oculi, he is an essential part of our team and will be aiding us to Earth. He is also Gold Eye's grandfather. I suggest you and Dr. Tarver get closer, as you are both crucial members.'

'I agree with you completely.' Even though Dr. Tarver was talking to Ashtem, his eyes stayed on me, giving me a sense of uneasiness.

'Well, I must be going to check on the dorm arrangements,' Ashtem clasped his hands together firmly. 'You know we are leaving in less than a week, next Friday, in six days. Red Eye, feel free to look around the aircraft and explore. Dr. Tarver, please check on the engine rooms. I have worries about the creaking sounds constantly being heard from there. Once you have finished, please show Red Eye around and explain everything.'

'Will do,' Dr. Tarver promised. I nodded my head in agreement. 

'Very well.' 

Ashtem promptly spun on his heel and left, going out into the hall again. That left me alone with Gold Eye's grandfather. His eyes sparkled.