Hole In One

“What is that?” I muttered to myself as us teenagers walked into the living room. Davenport was standing next to something with a white sheet over it.

“Hey, guys! Check this out.” Davenport said, a huge smile on his face. We walked over to him. “I picked this up at an auction today and it only cost me a million dollars.”

Adam looked at him. “What, for a sheet? Whoa, I better start saving up if I want to be a ghost for Halloween.”

“It’s a painting, Adam, by a very famous artist names Vonshtop.” Davenport told him. He then ripped off the sheet to reveal the weirdest painting ever.

“Hmm, I wish I would have been there to Vonshtop you from buying it.” Leo punned.

“What is it?” Adam asked.

“It’s abstract art, Adam.” He said. “It’s whatever you think it is.”

“I think it’s a crying woman.” “I think it’s a storm at sea.” “I think it’s my father.” You could guess who said the last one. All eyes were on me, and I could tell that they were worried. It wasn’t my fault I saw my father in the painting. I just didn’t tell them what he was doing in the picture. I would like to leave that detail out.

“I think someone just blew a million bucks.” Leo mocked, thankfully, taking the attention off me.

Davenport’s phone started going off, so he obviously picked it up. “It’s me: Davenport Industries.” He answered. “Hello. Uh-huh. Oh, boy. Alright.” He hung up and turned to us. “Looks like I gotta put out a fire at work.”

“What happened?” Chase asked.

“Betty from accounting got her head stuck in the positron collider again. That’s gonna be messy.” He walked over to the front door. “Can you guys put that in the art vault for me?”

“Wait, you have an art vault?” Leo asked.

He walked back over to us. “When are you guys gonna learn? I have a everything.” He chuckled, emphasizing the ‘a’. “But whatever you do, do not touch the Daven-portraits.” And with that, he walked out of the house.

“What’s a Daven-Portrait?” Leo asked as we entered the elevator.

“You’ll see.” Bree answered.

As soon as we entered the art vault, I wanted to run back upstairs. When Davenport said he had an art vault, I expected a bunch of famous paintings, but I didn’t expect all the famous paintings to be altered so Davenport was incorporated into them. It was downright creepy.

“Am I screaming out loud or just inside my head?” Leo asked.

“I’m just gonna say it; Davenport is one weird dude.”  Chase commented.

“I think we figured that out a long time ago.” I said.

Adam placed the painting on the easel. “Ah, voila! The Vonshto-ah-“ Before he had the chance to finish saying the name, Adam was about to sneeze. Since he was about to sneeze on us, we told him to point his nose in the other direction. He did, but there was a slight problem. His sneeze triggered his heat vision.

Heat vision equaled a hole in the painting. Fuck!

“Adam,” Chase rushed over to the painting. “What did you do?”

“Ah, I think that sneeze accidentally triggered my heat vision.”

“No shit!”

“Big D. is going to freak out!” Leo panicked.