Perry 2.0

Chase, Leo, and I were walking down the stairs when Perry walked out of her office, a microphone in her hand. “Morning, herm sacks!”

“Can’t you ever greet us nicely?” I asked, my tone somewhat cold.

“I suggest you shut your trap before I do it for you.” She snapped.

I growled. Chase tightened his grip on my hand. “Relax, babe. Just ignore her.”

“I know you’ve all been complaining that the technology isn’t quite-“ The microphone started malfunctioning. “Isn’t quite-“ It malfunctioned again. She hit it against her palm, and the loudest screech came out of the amplifier, causing us to all cover our ears. “State of the art.” She continued, a sheepish look on her face. “So, thanks to yours truly, we’re getting cutting edge equipment for the whole school to enjoy. Jojo, Betty, come on girls! Let’s wheel it like it’s hot!”

Jojo and Betty both wheeled in a cart of some sort that had a sheet over it. “Behold Mission Creek High’s brand new media center!” Perry exclaimed, removing the sheet. Three words: Not brand new. The TV was old, and there was VHS player. Last time I checked, we all had DVD players.

“I don’t think you can call it technology if you have to change the channel with a pair of pliers.” Leo told her.

“Why do I smell Formaldehyde?” Chase asked.

“’Cause I found it on a curb outside the morgue.” Perry replied. “I’m getting all my Christmas presents there, too. Aunt Dolly’s getting sheets.”

“She’s so cheap.” I muttered.

“How is this thing new?” Chase asked, pointing to the TV.

“It’s new to you, lady face.” Perry shot back before walking away.

I walked over towards my locker, Leo and Chase following. “I seriously hate Perry. All she does is insult us and make our lives miserable.”

“If only we could get her fired.” Leo said, causing us to chuckle.

“No matter what Perry does, she can’t get fired.” Chase said. “It’s ridiculous.”

“Okay,” We heard Perry as she walked back over to the “entertainment system”. We walked back over as well. “Let’s fire up the media center!” She plugged it on, but soon enough there were sparks, followed by the power going out. “Minor setback. For the record, you all look better in this light.”

“Is it me, or does the power go off here a lot?” I questioned.

“I kind of like it when it goes off.” Chase said.

“Um, why?” Leo asked. I couldn’t see him, but I assumed he was looking at Chase weirdly. I was.

“You don’t want to know, Leo.” I was about to ask him what he meant, but when I felt a pair of lips on my neck, I got my answer.  

“I have a feeling I know why.” Leo said. “I’m walking away. Bye.” I heard footsteps, signaling that Leo was walking away.

“You are so lucky that the lights are off.” I mumbled, turning around so I could crash my lips onto his.  

Suddenly, the lights came back on, causing us to jump apart. “Alright, get to class before Mr. Pack has your head.” Chase told me, pecking my lips.

“Hey, it’s not my fault he doesn’t like me.” I defended.

“Alex, you glued his butt to his chair last month.”

I shrugged. “I was bored.”

He chuckled. “Just go.” He kissed my forehead before walking in the opposite direction that I needed to go. I sighed and started making my way towards Mr. Pack’s class.