three

"long time no see."

i spin around to face him, and i'm almost surprised he's actually there. part of me expected this unrealistically gorgeous guy to ditch me. but he didn't.

"how does sushi sound?"

"sounds like exactly what i need," he winks at me, and my heart flutters, leaving me to wonder what the fuck that feeling just now was.

"let's go."

we set off, me knowing exactly where to go. he follows confidently, walking close enough for comfort, glancing up at me.

"age?"

"twenty-five."

"me too."

"what do you do?"

"i work in public relations for an entertainment company. what about you?"

"insurance. filing is my passion." he laughs, and i smile at the fact that he does.

"as it is mine. oh, and making coffee for anyone even slightly more important than i? such fun. i feel like i've achieved everything i set out to achieve."

"wow, you did really make it," i smirk, turning right, "we're almost there."

"i'll get there," he chuckles, "and good. i'm starving."

we arrive, we get a table, and we sit down across from each other. after fifteen minutes of talking and walking, i feel like i really have known him for those two entire years. it comes naturally, the way we talk and joke and banter back and forth.

"so, two years?" he asks, stuffing a bite of kappa maki into his mouth, "you always were cute. didn't know you liked me too."

"are you kidding me?" i laugh, "if i'm cute, you're stunning. of course i'd find you attractive."

"don't sell yourself short," oikawa says firmly, "you've got that cute curly hair, a great face to look at, thick eyebrows, tall, not too lanky — what else could a guy want?"

"something like you," i reply, taking a piece of salmon nigiri. he chuckles.

"you have the mysterious aura going on, mattsun," he tells me, "it's hot."

"i'm glad you think so," i smirk, and he rolls his eyes, kicking me softly under the table.

"shut up," he tells me, "now, tell me more about yourself, stranger-that-i-now-know."

i should tell him. 'hey, by the way, i'm gonna die soon. just a heads up.' but i really don't want to. i don't want to scare him off, or gain too much of his sympathy. also, it's a really shitty conversation starter for a first date. i assume most people cry; not exactly the goal of going to dinner. so i don't tell him.

"well, i'm originally from miyagi, i've been working in yokohama for two years and four months, i hate cicadas, i love cheese-filled hamburger steak, and someone told me recently the whole salaryman look doesn't suit me and now i worry about it daily."

"miyagi? really? me too!" oikawa grins, "god, i miss miyagi. but i do love yokohama, even my shitty tiny apartment. and you look great in that look. gets me going, at least."

"less dirty talk, more eating," i order.

"i pinned as you as the dirty type. was i wrong?"

"the faster you eat, the faster you can properly talk dirty to me," i grin. he laughs, quickly taking another bite.

"don't make promises you can't keep, mattsun."

"i wouldn't dare."

"good," he continues, "anyway, i was curious. why the sudden date? you haven't asked me out for two years. why now?"

i look up at him. 'because if you said no, it wouldn't have mattered. i'd be gone.' "i guess i just couldn't resist your charms anymore."