IX) Freezing

I wake up soaked in my own sweat, but thankfully I didn't do anything to wake up Yuffie or Tifa. I glance at the digital clock to my right. Seven. I might as well get up. I grab my cloak and my shoes, hurriedly putting them on and leaving the hotel. The woman at the front desk smiles; I nod back and continue out into the snow. With a heavy sigh and no direction, I head down the road aimlessly. Two children are already out building snowmen; one throws a snowball and before long they're both pelting each other. A clump of snow strikes my arm and a little girl calls out an apology. I flash a small smile to reassure her and carry on my way. I have no destination in mind as the sun rises in the distance, and somehow I wind up in a weapons shop. Blades and bullets alike line the walls. Personally, I prefer my bow or Shadow's blade, Nightmare. The rapier gains more strength the longer I endure suffering.

"Well, look who's awake," comes a familiar drawl. I turn to see Cid grinning at me, a fresh pack of cigarettes in his hand.

"Hey, Cid. What're you doing up this early?"

"I'm an early riser," he shrugs. I hum, my eyes falling to the floor. I guess I couldn't see him awake at camp when I was always far away from the group by sunrise. That, or I was out of the inn room at the first sign of light. "You couldn't sleep?"

"Yeah."

"If it makes ya feel any better, Vin slept pretty good last night." Vin? I fight a smile despite myself.

"Is he still asleep?"

"Think so. Why?" His eyes drift just above my head. "Maybe not."

I turn to see Vincent entering the shop, giving us a curt nod before heading toward the counter to buy some more ammunition. Now that I think about it, I'm low on arrows and Shadow's aren't the best for the monsters we've been encountering lately. I wait for Cid and Vincent to leave before purchasing as many arrows as I can fit in my quiver. I leave after checking the clock. It's only been forty minutes since I got up.

"Violet." I resist the urge to roundhouse kick Cloud in the face for startling me and nod toward him.

"Cloud," I acknowledge. "Looks like everyone's up earlier than usual today."

"Not Barret. Are Tifa and Yuffie still sleeping?"

"They were when I left," I shrug. He nods and turns his eyes to the snow banks that surround the buildings. I finally notice that he's wearing a winter coat over his uniform with the collar of his turtleneck pulled up high. As if reading my mind, he looks over my getup.

"Are you going to be warm enough. I've heard the glacier is the coldest place on the Planet. People freeze out there all the time."

"I'll be alright," I nod. "Besides, I'm not a big fan of shopping." He allows a small amused smile.

"Why don't you go with Tifa?"

"No offense to either of you, but I'm not too fond of her," I admit.

"I get it," he sighs. "She can be suffocating. She's really not all that bad once you get to know her, but I guess that's how a lot of people are."

"I'll try," I lie.

"I'm gonna head out," he mutters, shoving his hands in his pockets and trekking through the snow.

Shadow cackles at the young man's inferior height and I roll my eyes, heading back toward the hotel room. The shower's on and Yuffie's still in bed. I sit down on my bed and stare out the window as the town comes to life. Tifa leaves a painful hour and a half later and Yuffie's still dozing. The martial artist eyes the ninja, sighing and ruffling her damp hair.