XXVIII) Mayhem

The next morning, I wake to a cold, empty tent. Where's Ruka? I frown and sit up slowly. With a sigh, I stand and climb out of the tent to meet the bright morning sun. Where's Vincent? Frowning, I sit down beside out dead fire and turn on my phone. We have to be careful out here because I obviously can't charge this thing in the woods, but I just want to check. Yep, a text from Cid, as expected. I open the message and wrestle a small smile.

C: Tell Vin to answer his #$%^&*#$% phone or I'm gonna hunt y'all down and shove my spear up his #$%!

I roll my eyes and dial the pilot's number. I prefer to hear a voice instead of trying to tap out a message through tiny buttons. Impatiently, I wait for Cid to pick up. He does so on the fifth ring.

"What?" he snaps.

"Someone's in a good mood," I scoff.

"Shut up, Vi. The ship's givin' me a hard time. Where's Vince?"

"I actually would like to know the answer to that question, too," I frown. "I woke up and he was gone, but his stuff's here, so I guess he didn't just run away."

"Violet," Cid sighs, sound exasperated. "What'd ya do?"

"Hey!" I protest to his accusing. But then I give in. "Well... It's actually a really long story, but to make it short, last night I told him that I'm sick of the BS and that I'm giving him three days to decide between me and whatever it is he's chasing around in La La Land."

"#$%^... So he's been causin' problems?"

"We both have," I admit.

"Can I talk to the poor guy?"

"I told you, I don't know where..." I pause upon seeing Vincent walking toward the camp, wading through the tall grass with Ruka bouncing at his heels. "Hang on, he's back."

"Well then tell him to get on the #$%^&*' phone!"

"Hey, Vince!" I call, holding the phone away from my mouth. "Cid wants you to get on the #$%^&* phone!" The pilot chuckles and Vincent raises an eyebrow. I walk toward the gunman and hand him the device before heading to my backpack and digging around. I'm starving.

"Yes?" Vincent sits on the ground a few feet away, frowning. "No, I did not. Why does it matter?" I pretend that I'm not eavesdropping, but I'm trying to piece together their conversation as I pull an old granola bar from the bottom of my bag. That's gonna have to work. "It was an overreaction, Highwind. I sure she would never do such a thing." I frown, pausing. Are they talking about me? Better not be. "I appreciate your concern, Cid, but it is not necessary. I can handle this on my own." He sighs, listening for a long time. "I don't doubt it, though I don't see why this concerns you." He cringes and holds the phone away from his ear as Cid shouts so loudy that I can hear every word loud and clear.

"What the #$%^'s gotten into you!? She's the best #$%^ thing that's ever happened to you and when she leaves, don't drag your sorry #$% to me!"

"I see," Vincent mutters, avoiding my questioning gaze. "Goodbye." He hangs up quickly, snapping the phone shut and tossing it back to me. I catch it easily and take a bite from my dusty granola bar. Vince eyes my breakfast.

"How can you eat so much?"

"How can you eat so little?" I retort. "You should be dead."

"That makes two of us."

I grin and start to pack up our stuff. Despite how we've been lately, we still have our days when we get along just fine. Although, I didn't imagine that to be the morning after I threatened to leave him for good. We always seem to bounce back, but it's always temporary. I shake my head. Lately, he's my only reason to smile. Then again, he's also the reason I'm losing my mind.