XXV) Advent Children

Ruka's sharp barking wakes me up. I groan and rub my exposed eye, squinting into the dim light of dawn that illuminates our shelter.

"What the #$%^?" I moan, sitting up. Ruka barks again, biting the sheet that covers our shelter and ripping it down before leaping outside and facing me. Waiting. Huffing, I force myself to my aching feet and chase after her. Stumbling past a few early risers that wander the streets, I follow the dog down the road and into an alley at the very end. "Ruka, what—"

My voice fails me when a swarm of black energy arises out of the torn concrete, morphing and twisting into a familiar, towering figure. Glimmering ebony eyes turn to mine, skin shifting to accommodate for the motion of the figure's raising hand. The gloved hand lifts to the sky, black eyes narrow, and long, long hair sways.

"Mother..." the shadow of Sephiroth hisses.

What are you doing?

This isn't my power... How would the dog sense it?

I look down to see Ruka's dark fur raised all along her back, a deep growl rumbling from her lowered chest. Sephiroth's image turns back at me, the slightest smirk playing on a face that looks far too much like my sister's.

"It's time..."

"For what?" I demand, stepping forward. Ruka snarls when Sephiroth's hand falls back to his side, his chin lifting with his haughty gaze.

"The Reunion... I thought you knew... Sister."

"What?" I frown, tensing when he throws his head back.

"She is nearby. We can feel it."

Before I can react, the swarming black energy dissolves, tearing apart into tendrils that melt away into the ground. I stare at the concrete, unsure how to feel. The Reunion...? But... I killed him. Sephiroth is dead. My phone's ringtone breaks me from my thoughts; I answer immediately, my heart sinking when a lighthearted voice greets my ears. What else did you expect?

"What's up, Vi!?"

"Hi, Reno," I sigh. Reno and I... Well, I suppose we're at the point where I'd consider him a friend. He's certainly changed, and he's helped me far more than necessary since I was dumped here. Whenever he's in Edge, he's sure to buy a couple drinks for us to catch up over. Of course, there are certain roadblocks along the way to such a friendship, but that's to be expected. "I'm sitting in an alley and hoping that I'm not hallucinating."

"Pretty sure that's just a symptom, hon," he teases, laughing to himself.

"I'll write it down for the doctor, just in case," I retort, rolling my eyes and sinking back against the brick wall. "What'd you need?"

"Well #$%^, where do I start?" he huffs. I smile to myself. "We got sent to the Crater to pick up Elena and Tseng—they went to retrieve Jenova's head. Some weirdos lookin' for 'Mother' crashed the part and I dunno what's gonna happen to those two. Me and Rude got out okay but..." Reno sighs and something creaks. I assume he's leaned back in his seat, wherever he is. "I'm not sure about the other two."

"Mother...?" I repeat, frowning at the path of dirt Sephiroth's illusion disappeared into.

"Yeah. Those guys... they look a lot like Sephiroth. They got the silver hair and the same eyes." Another creak; he's straightened. "I was wonderin' if you'd be willing to come out to Healin and talk."

"About this?"

"Well," he chuckles. "I mean, I'm not gonna complain if there's somethin' else on your mind—"