XX) Lucrecia's Cave

"Alright, Vi, we're here," Cid calls, matching my side when I start toward the front of the ship. "Hope this is worth it."

"Drop the ladder," I mutter, staring at the landscape. A crater filled with crystal clear water rolls with soft waves beneath us, a glistening waterfall rolling from mossy, flowered rocks tumbling into the pristine lake.

The grass is wet when we cross it, trying our best not to slip. Yuffie leaps across the untouched ground with practiced precision, fingers brushing the surface of the lake.

"It's beautiful," she gushes, spinning around to take it all in.

"Sure is," Tifa agrees. "How do we get past this waterfall?"

"I'm sure there's a way behind," I shrug, passing her to lead the way. The sooner we get this over with, the sooner we can get to Hojo. Vincent's right behind me, striding alongside Cid. I nearly slip on the slick rocks, but Cid catches my arm and keeps me steady.

"We have to hurry," Cloud reminds us. "Hojo's on the cannon." A spell seems to cast over us as we enter the cavern, surrounded by glittering green and blue crystals, mako pooling in patches around the dirt floor.

She's here.

Who?

My heart drops and I clench my jaw as my eyes rest upon her. She looks so innocent, so pure, so wrong. This isn't how I remember her. The slim woman before us stands slumped forward, wrapped in a lab coat as white as fresh snow and her long brunette hair wrapped up tightly into a ponytail.

"Lucrecia!" Vincent gasps. Half of Avalanche jumps as he rushes toward her turned back. I'm not stunned enough to miss the sound of my heart cracking.

"Vincent..." she sniffs, her voice soft as she turns around, wet tears staining her cheeks. Bitterness swallows my heart whole and I step forward, my harsh glare never once leaving her doe-like brown eyes.

"Lucy," I spit her name like poison. Tifa and Nanaki eye me cautiously.

"Violet... It's been so long," she smiles. I shake my head, overflowing with hatred.

"Don't act like nothing happened. You were there. You gave orders."

"And I regret it all," she hangs her head, her voice cracking. My fists tighten at my sides and I wish I had the strength to lunge at her and rip her throat out.

"Lucrecia..." Vincent murmurs, helplessly falling back in love with the vision of the woman before us.

"Stay back!" she screams, throwing her hands out to stop him.

The room flashes with a searing white light. Suddenly, we're surrounded by a crystal clear vision. I shudder. It's Vincent talking to Lucrecia on his first day, confused by her stuttering before she runs off, babbling nonsense to herself. And then there's me rushing toward them, equally confused as I flounce about in my little black skirt. The world blinks into a whole new image—another memory. Vincent walks down the path through Nibelheim at Lucrecia's side, smiles plastered on both of their youthful faces. She bumps into his side purposely; his bony shoulder bumps her back as he chuckles faintly. This fades to the gray shades of the snowy day that she dropped the news of her engagement to Hojo; a piercing pain gleams in his eyes as she shakes her head and runs away, hugging her winter coat close to her slender body.

I steal a glance at Vincent, who stares at the flashing scenes with an unreadable expression. Avalanche watches his life play out before their very eyes, still trying to comprehed how this seemingly innocent woman was the mother of Sephiroth. Hojo comforts Lucrecia in the next vision; young Vincent watches on with a passive expression, though his crimson eyes reveal his true pain. His younger voice echoes through the cave, replacing the worn, underused one he has now.