XXVI) Advent Children II

"I did, and now I'm here," I reply. "Why do you want me away so badly?"

"It's not that," Vincent mutters, shaking his head. "I only want you to be safe."

"Yeah, and me living on the disgusting streets of Edge with a smelly dog is safe?" I retort. "Okay. Guess I'll go home now. Bye, Vince."

"...Why didn't you stay with Tifa?"

"Oh, don't you even start," I scoff. "We don't get along, and you know that. She was offended when I told her I wasn't about to work for my keep and so I left. Simple as that." Vincent sighs, shaking his head and walking toward the water's edge. He sits in the grass slowly, staring long and hard at the rippling surface of the pool.

"I suppose I could see why she doesn't want you in her kitchen."

"Like you can cook," I snap defensively, sitting beside him.

"I'm certainly I'm not as bad as you," he glances over at me.

"Really?" I raise an eyebrow.

"... This isn't about me."

"No, really. Make me something right now, oh master chef Vincent Valentine," I tease. "I'm famished." Vincent does nothing for a moment. Then a gloved hand reaches down and plucks a blade of grass. He gingerly sets it on my leg.

"Salad," comes his dry response. I burst out laughing, brushing the leaf away and shaking my head. Sighing, I lay my head on his shoulder.

"But really, why are you avoiding me?"

"I'm not," he frowns.

"You couldn't possibly find a way to at least make sure I was alive for three months?" I roll my eyes. "Cut the crap. What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Vincent—"

"Violet, there is nothing wrong," he says firmly, obviously frustrated.

"Fine," I huff, pushing myself to my feet. "Don't tell me." Stretching my arms over my head, I tap his side gently with the tip of my boot. "How long do I have to stay in Midgar?"

"Until your Geostigma has been cured, I would—"

"So forever," I interrupt. "That's great." Vincent shakes his head, standing.

"... Perhaps you should be getting back."

"Yeah, just kick me out while you're at it," I scoff, turning sharply to leave. He catches my arm, exasperated with my attitude.

"Violet, you're acting like a child. I'm only trying to help."

"How?" I demand, glaring at the ground. "By forcing me to stay in a whole gathering of dying people while you brood in some forest across the Planet?"

"... Do you think the knowledge I shared with Cloud simply came to me in a dream?" He's trying to stay calm, I can feel it. His grip tightens. "I've been searching for answers for you."

Wow.

... Shut it.

"... Sorry."

Vincent shakes his head and loosens his hold on my arm. I turn and pull him into a hug, resting my temple against his chest where I can feel the gentle thud of his heart. Beside it is an oddly warm patch; I don't give it too much thought. His gloved hand settles on the back of my head, his gauntlet resting at the base of my back.

"What for?"

"Being a #$%^&. I just... hate knowing that something could happen to one of us and the other would never know."