XIII) Distance

My cellphone rings loud and clear in the dead of night, Yuffie's name flashing on the caller ID. I pick up with a sigh.

"Hey! This is Violet, right?"

"Yeah."

"Cool! So, uh..." She hesitates and her preppy voice fades into a more serious tone. "Cloud got mako poisoning. It's really bad. We don't know if he'll ever be the same..." She pauses. "Cait Sith overheard Scarlet talking about launching the rocket into space to destroy Meteor, but we don't know for sure. Just a heads up, okay?"

"... Okay."

"Are you, uh, feeling alright? You sound tired."

"... It's four in the morning."

"Sorry! Time zones, geeze!"

"Goodbye."

"Bye!"

I sigh, setting my phone back down on the side table and look over Vincent's back from where he lays on the floor, curled up on a pile of blankets. At least her call woke me from another nightmare. I shake my head, standing and pulling my cloak over my shoulders. I open the door, ready to leave when a low, tired voice stops me.

"Where are you going?"

"For a walk," I admit, turning back to meet his glowing eyes. Something like sympathy twinges in my chest and I press it down. He's suffered so much. "I can't sleep." Vincent waits a moment before easing himself to his feet. I roll my eyes, though it's a half-hearted gesture. "Do you have to follow me everywhere?"

"I can't sleep," he replies, pulling on his cape. "Who called?"

"Yuffie."

"Hm."

We slip out of the house silently and make our way onto the dirt road, walking side by side in the cool morning air. Meteor lights the sky with a gentle purple glow, dimming out the rest of the stars. Across the sky, the moon casts a bright light onto the ground. It's days like these where I remember Vincent as a friend, a trusted companion from times of suffering and happiness alike. Vincent breaks the silence first, his crimson eyes locked on the ground ahead of us.

"Chaos... seems to understand much about you," he mutters. "How you are feeling and such." For some reason, that makes my heart skip a beat as if I've done something wrong. I pray it can't read my mind.

"Oh?"

"... I wanted to apologize for yesterday." Yesterday? Oh.

"Apology accepted," I shake my head. "I was just in a mood."

"As usual."

"Vincent," I scoff, nudging his shoulder with mine. He allows a small smile.

"That is my name."

"I hate you."

"You're going to wake the entire street up," he warns, scanning the houses that line the road. I roll my eyes, shoving him playfully before looking up at the starry sky.

"Do you ever feel like you can feel like she's watching you from up there?"

"The Lifestream is underground," he replies simply. "So, no."

"Smart #$%," I hiss. "You know what I mean."

"... She wouldn't care to." He stares up at the sky beside me. I turn to watch his eyes dart from star to star, realizing that I can't tear mine away from him, my eyes locking on things I was never able to notice before. Ghostly pale skin, high cheek bones, the way his long, dark eyelashes fan over his crimson eyes. Even in his profile, he's per... No, don't do that. I force my head to turn away, my face slowly growing warmer. What was that? "Of course, if David could see you, I'm sure he'd be smiling."