XL) Underground Cavern

When I next open my eyes, I'm clearly not at the lodge anymore. In fact, I'm clearly not even on the ground anymore. In the pit of my stomach, I feel empty. Hollow. Shadow? Nothing. Nothing but silence. I can't even feel her presence. It's the first time in decades where I've felt both true loneliness and security in my thoughts. I'd be lying if I said I won't miss her snarky comments, but I'd also be a liar if I said I won't enjoy the liberation.

"She's awake, Captain!"

I jump, looking around the Shera's sickbay in search of any signs of the source of the voice. Two soldiers peer into my room. Cid jolts awake in the seat he's pulled up to the bedside, rubbing his face.

"You alright?" he asks finally, motioning for the soldiers to leave us alone.

"Yeah," I nod. "I'm a little sore, though."

"I'll bet. Reno said you were screamin' bloody murder."

"Was I?" I frown. #$%^. "She's gone."

"No need to sound so excited," Cid chuckles. "It'll take some gettin' used to, huh?"

"Yeah." I sigh. "Guess now I'm no different than Cloud."

"Don't go mopin' on us," Cid scoffs, clapping a hand down on my shoulder. "You'll get over it."

"You never know. I could start a delivery business of my own."

"Here," Cid chuckles, reaching toward the desk behind him. "Tseng and Reno dropped these off with you." My heart catches in my throat. I forgot about that. I take the bow and the sword from Cid's hands, laying them on my lap. I trace my fingers over the twisting, rough cut edges of Sacrifice, glancing back up at the pilot as I lean back.

"I think I'm a little tired still." Cid rolls his eyes and takes hold of my arm, dragging me to my feet.

"Call Vince back. He tried gettin' ahold of you while you were out." He laughs, scratching the back of his head. "Poor #$^%^*$ just wants to know if you're alright."

"Fine," I sigh, pulling my phone off of the table beside me and scrolling through my contacts until I find "Emo #$%^&." Fighting a laugh, I look up at Cid. "He's probably fighting Deepground by now."

"Yeah," Cid shrugs. "C'mon. Yer boys've been waitin', too."

"My boys?" I raise an eyebrow.

"David and Josh." He stands, heading out the door. I follow slowly, frowning when I suddenly realize how much heavier I am when I have to carry my own weight around. "They're still in the engine room. Been catchin' up since Callie put 'em to work. Never knew Dave was a handyman."

"Yeah, he tries," I huff, rolling my eyes. Tried. Joshua notices me first, hurrying over to me.

"Mom?!"

"Yeah?"

He laughs, squeezing the life out of me. I wince, patting his back as my sore body screams in protest. Gratefully, I accept David's much more ginger approach, his touch light and his body warm. He presses his lips to my forehead, pulling away slowly.

"How're you feeling?"

"Alright," I sigh. "Empty. Sore."

"Like you gave birth?"

"Uh, no."

"You sure? That's how you described what it was like after having Josh," David laughs, nudging me playfully. I roll my eyes.

"Shadow didn't leave through my vagina, so I think we're okay."

"I would hope not," David scoffs, glancing over at Cid. "You just wait until Shera has kids, Chief."