XXXV) Inevitable

~37 years ago~

"Moron," I huff, picking up a decoration that a tipsy dork knocks over. Lucy better appreciate all the effort I'm putting in to make her party nice. My stepmother bustles past me, brunette hair tied back tightly and a denim jacket pulled over her shirt. She pauses and looks back at me.

"Violet, dear, go get a coat on. You'll freeze."

"Nah, I'll be alright," I brush her off, wincing when one of my knobby knees hits a lawn chair. I hate having awkwardly long legs. "Do you know where Lucy is?"

"Honey, she's probably in the back with her friends. That is where the party is being held, you know. Not much is happening in the driveway."

"I was just making sure no one was taking Dad's parking spot," I shrug. "Besides, people keep knocking her stupid signs over and she's gonna throw a tantrum if they're not fixed."

"Violet," Mae rolls her eyes, voice firm.

"What? You know it's true."

"Your father will be fine. Go out back and help your sister."

"But Mae, she doesn't want my help," I whine.

"Violet, you're twenty years old. Act like it," she replies, though there's a slight smile on her lips.

"Yes ma'am," I grumble, stomping around the side of the house and cringing at the thought of joining the crowd of people that wanders from place to place. Lucy's never been the shy kid in the back of class, and it doesn't help that she's pretty. She's the smart one with the looks and the friends. I'm the awkward one with zero social skills whatsoever—not to mention my clumsiness.

Peoples' voices flood my ears in a low hum mixed with the beat of quiet background music and laughter. Cups filled with a variety of drinks cover tables and pizza boxes, sandwiches, and veggie trays lay around as well. On a banner tied between two poles that my dad and I set up is painted "Congrats Grad" in navy blue. I spot Lucrecia easily and decide the best thing to do is trail around behind her. Maybe then I'll be ignored. Of course, my plan doesn't work with Ms. Perfect in town. A grin breaks out on Lucy's face and she grabs my arm, tugging me closer.

"Violet! Come here, I want you to meet some people." I yelp when I crash into her, blushing when some passerby mocks me with his friends. #$%^ off. "Gabe just went somewhere to—"

"I'm here," a voice calls, slightly muffled. We turn to see our cousin walking toward us with a paper plate stacked high with slices of pizza. Half a piece is jammed in his mouth. I scoff.

"Gabriel, you're such a pig."

"Hey!" He swallows, nearly choking on his bite. "We all have our roles in this family, alright?" He points as he mentions each person. "You're the ditz. Lucy's the smarty pants. Aunt Mae is the control freak, Uncle Rick is the workaholic, and my dad's the drunk." I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, okay."

"Alright, so," Lucy says, changing the subject and redirecting my attention. "Raina, Freddy, Locke, Tina, and—"

"David." Another man joins the group of graduates, holding two cups. He hands one to Raina and one to Lucy before tucking his hands into the pockets of his brown leather jacket. His jeans are just as faded as the old coat and he stands far taller than everyone else over here. Hot #$%^.

"Thanks, Dave," Raina grins, nudging him with her elbow. David grins, pushing his sleeves up a bit higher before facing me.

"You're Lucrecia's sister?" I nod, cursing myself for the blush that slowly creeps across my face. He smiles. "Cool. You're lucky, you know. My big sister's not very nice."