XLI) Scattered

"David, honestly," I huff, peering around the corner of the building. "Where are you?" I knew this would happen. Vincent raises an eyebrow as I walk past; I turn back and hurry up to the towering Turk. "Hey, you wouldn't happen to know where David went, would you?"

"I saw him last in the garden," Vincent replies coldly.

"Cool, come with me," I cut in, grabbing his arm and pulling him after me.

"But—"

"Shh."

"Is this necessary?" he asks, exasperated.

"Yes," I snap, glaring back at him. "I'm scared, Vincent." His face lightens up a bit.

"You're telling him now?"

"Yes," I grit, pushing the back door open and letting him go.

Dead ahead is the man I was looking for: a big, tough soldier boy built of pure muscle and smiles, elbows deep in dirt as he plants his newest batch of flowers. I clear my throat as Vincent irritably straightens his shirt behind me.

"David?"

The man's eyes snap up to meet mine and instantly a bright smile spreads across his face. Dusting off his hands, he stands and nods to Vincent, who merely lifts his chin in that haughty air all Turks seem to carry. David comes closer, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"Hey, Vi. What's up?" He cocks his head to the side. "Gabe do something again?"

"No, I can handle Gabe," I laugh, though I'm clearly nervous. I glance back at Vincent and he merely stares back, waiting. Some moral support you are. "Actually, I came to talk to you."

"Okay," he replies slowly, raising an eyebrow. "What is it?" He nods toward Vincent. "And why did you bring him—no offense." Vincent and I exchange an awkward look, speaking both our minds at once.

"She dragged me here.

"He was lonely."

"Guys, what's going on?" David huffs, crossing his arms.

"I'm going to Kalm...?" I offer with a grimace. Vincent sighs; if he was one to roll his eyes, he most certainly would.

"Why are you—"

"She's pregnant."

I slam my elbow into Vincent's ribs, earning a quiet grunt. David stares at me, blinking blankly. I offer a small smile. He stumbles forward, completely lost to the world for a mere moment as he falls forward. Startled, I jump out of the way; Vincent's crushed under the younger soldier. David groans, jumping when he realizes his precarious situation. He gives Vincent an innocent smile as the Turk glowers up at him. Unfortunately, because of their long limbs, they wind up trying to detangle from each other with a series of awkward mumbles and uncomfortable apologies. I snicker.

"No, wait. You move that and then... Hang on, let me—Oof! Oh gods, sorry Vince, I swear I didn't mean to. Just, uh..."

David finally stands, hopping to his feet and reaching down to tug the Turk to his feet. The tip of his boot presses on Vincent's pant leg, though, and David's much stronger than he realizes. With a quick jerk, Vincent's standing and his pants slip from his hips to the ground. Vincent clutches his underwear to keep from flashing us and glares up at David, who sheepishly rubs the back of his neck. Snatching up his torn, dirtied pants, Vincent turns on his heels and stomps back toward the house.

"So, uh... You wanna get lunch sometime?" David calls.

I'm positive that if Vincent wasn't so committed to his image, he would have given David the finger as he entered the mansion.