04: Anyone But You

Chapter 4

*****YEARS AGO*****

"Andy, you're my bestest friend," I said.

"I know, Mellie," he says. "Best friends forever?"

He sticks his pinky out and I wrap my pinky around his.

"Forever," I reply.

*****PRESENT*****

I stare at him and look at his eyes. Then, without, warning, he kissed me. I wanted him to, too. But still, why had Andy tried to kill himself? What could be so bad? I tried not to think about that as his lips moved against mine.

I ring my fingers into his hair and kiss him back with all my strength. His lips were soft and his hand cupped my cheek as one made its way to the small of my back. I lace my arms around his neck. I don't know how long we kissed for but eventually, oxygen was necessary.

He pulled back and stared at each other, breathless.

"Willow," he said.

"Andy," I said at the same time.

We both laughed. "You go first," Andy said.

"Do you really love me?" I whisper.

He nods. "Always, Willow."

It wasn't quite an I love you,  but I took it. I don't think he'll say it until he means it. It was just a way for us to say our feelings for now.

So if we're friends what does this make us now with us kissing and our feelings? I think.

"I don't know," Andy says.

I really need to pay attention to what I say...

"But," Andy starts. "If you want to .... Melody Isabel Willows, do you want to be my girlfriend?"

I smile. Maybe I am ready. I need to trust Andy. He's gonna by my ... boyfriend. I tried to process that. Boyfriend.

"Yes," I smile.

Then he kisses me again. Andy Hartley, my boyfriend, was kissing me. And I liked it. But there was something wrong.

"Andy, can I ask you something?" I ask.

He nods as I lean back onto the car. "Why did you cut yourself?"

He sighs and puts two fingers on the bridge of his nose. "Willow--"

"Andy, you can tell me," I say, taking his hand.

"Because .. " He trailed off.

"Because?" I pushed.

"Because my father died a month ago and I had no idea what to do," he blurted. "But then, I decided to be nicer and I started with you. I wanted to be better for my father. I promised him that I'd try since I was such a rebel. Then, I got to know you, Willow, and I fell for you. A lot and hard. Well, I fell more. I'm sorry about how I've treated you. I'm so sorry."

"Andy," I tried.

"I'm really sorry," he said, choking on a sob. "I shouldn't have done that and you tried to kill yourself. I'm such a horrible person. You don't deserve me! You deserve better."

He starts crying and I hold him. "It's ok, Andy. Don't worry. I'm fine now. I'm alive."

"But you almost weren't," he argues. "If Kendra hadn't found you ..."

"Andy," I said.

He backs out of my arms and looks at me. "Yes?"

"I'm here, so shut up and kiss me," I blurt.