07: Anyone But You

Chapter 7

Turning to a new person is hard. Natalie and I went to Starbucks and talked a bit but it's not the same. I went home and decided to talk to niceguy123. I mean he already knew me.

glitterintheair: hey

niceguy123: hey whats up with u and ur boyfriend

glitterintheair: we broke up

niceguy123: omg im so srry

glitterintheair: he was keeping secrets and he wudnt tell me im so mad at him

niceguy123: maybe he had his reasons

glitterintheair: ur defending him?!

niceguy123: srry but u never know....

glitterintheair: srry im just on edge

niceguy123: hey weve known each other for a year right?

glitterintheair: ya and?

niceguy123: dont u think its time we meet in person? i mean we live in the same town right?

glitterintheair: ya sure how about six tonite at ... Coldstone?

niceguy123: ok ill have a rose in my hand red one

glitterintheair: ok ill see you tonite

I log off, excited. Maybe I could get over Andy through this guy. I wonder who it is.... Since it was 5: 24, I figured to get ready so I took a shower and put on my robe, sorting through my closet. I decided on a see-through pink top with slightly puffed sleeves with a white cami underneath and a black skirt. Yes, I owned a skirt.

For make-up, I put on light gold eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner, and lip gloss. Casual yet not. Now it was about 5:54. Crap I had to get there. I drove as quickly as I could and peered through the window. He wasn't there yet so I waited in my car for a while.

At 6:12, I got out and looked in again. Andy was there and I scowled. Then he reached into his coat pocket and pulled out .... No way. No freaking way. He pulled out a red rose as he searched the room for a girl. For me. I ran away crying. How could this happen??

For a year, for a freakin year, I trusted him. I confinded in him. I wasn't just upset with Andy now. I was angry beyond belief. For a year he told me to stand up to the bully when the bully was just him.

*****

I ignored all of niceguy123's messages and went to school, my head held high. Plus, it's not like Andy could come up and ask why I didn't show. That would give him away so instead I ignored him completely. He tried to get my attention in History class and then came Chemistry.

We had to do an experiment and unfortunatly he was my chem partner.

"Ok, now pour some of the blue bottle into the beaker," Mrs. Peterson commanded.

I poured some while Andy whispered lowly.

"Melody, please say something."

"Like what?" I ask steely.

"Why are you ignoring me?" he asked.

"Because."

"Because is not good enough," he said.

"It is for me," I reply curtly.

I set my elbows down and rub my eyes.

"Melody, talk to me," he said.

I lash out and knock an extra beaker onto the ground.

"I. Don't. Want. To," I growl, through clenched teeth.

Mrs. Peterson looks up. "Ms. Willows, a week of detention for breaking school property. For a week you will clean up this lab after school."

"It's his fault," I mutter.

"You too, Mr. Hartley."

No way. Not Andy. For a week? Alone? Well, let's just say it won't be pretty.

After class I storm out of the room and Andy grabs my arm. "Melody, what the heck is wrong with you?"

"Your secrets," I reply.

He's speechless and I just storm going to my last class. I relax in English because Andy isn't there. He annoys me to no end. The bell rings and then I remembered. Detention.

I go into the classroom and Mrs. Peterson looks up.

"Ms. Willows, I'll leave you too here for an hour then I'll check on you," she said.

Then she left. I went to the supply closet and tried to reach the Windex. I try to reach and stand on my tiptoes. Still couldn't reach it.

"Need help?" Andy asked from behind me.

I sigh. "Not from you."

I knock it down with a broom and get a rag. Then I look up at Andy, who wasn't doing anything, looking at me with such an expression full of love. He couldn't look at me like that. Not anymore. After what he did....

"Are you going to do anything?" I say in a quiet voice, not trying to be mean.

He grabs a mop and begins mopping the floor. "Yeah."

From there on out it was silent. An hour ticked by and not a word. Mrs. Peterson came in an hour later and excused us. I go to my car and try to start it. It stalls. Oh no. I try again. Stalls. No way. Andy knocks on my window and I roll down the window.

"Yes?" I ask.

"I heard your car stall," he said. "Need a ride?"

I accept it. "Sure."

I turn to his truck and he lets me in.

"Thank you," I say lowly.

He looks at me again with that love expression. "Your welcome."

"You really need to stop that," I sigh.

"What, this?" he asks, putting on a funny face.

I smile for the first time in a while. "No."

"Your smile is pretty," he commented.

"That's what I mean," I said. "Looking at me like that and complimenting me like that. It reminds me of ..."

"When we used to be together," he finished.

I nod. It's been a week and a half since I broke up with him. A week and a half since he crashed....

"I'm sorry," he said.

"No, don't apologize," I said. "Just ... don't do it."

He pulls up and I lean over to the middle seat for my bag when Andy gives it to me. I slowly look up and our lips were inches apart. No. I can't think like that. I lean away and so does he.

He clears his throat. "Bye."

"Bye," I said.

I get out and head inside. Then, I watch as Andy drives off. It's so hard to be mad at him but he betrayed me with his secret and besides, he was niceguy123....

Andy.

                                      I loved him but sometimes it was hard to.