Chapter 17

Theo's POV:

    "God damnit Autumn stand still". I mumble and once again try to straighten the nail with the hammer so I can pull her horse shoe off and replace it with the new ones. Once I finally get it off, I start working on cleaning the bottom of the hoof and preparing it for it's new horseshoe.

    "It's amazing, as long as the triplets have been working with horses, they still don't know how to change the horses shoes". Alex muses, leaning on a stall feeding Boots some carrots.

    "It's hard to learn, when the horses don't need them that often". James shrugs

They came along with me today, not to help, oh no, of course not.
    "You know this would go a lot quicker if you two would help with the last two".

James and Alex laugh.

    "But what fun would that be?"

I sigh and continue brush Autumns hoof, it's like she can tell I pissed Georgia off, because she will not sit still for me. James groans and moves to Memphis's horse and starts working.

    "James you're such a lollipop head". Alex shakes his head but moves to Dakota's horse.

We fall into silence, the only noise is the horses or the sound of metal on metal.

    "I kissed Georgia".

Silence, even the horses stop making noise.

    "Well, you know she did all that nice stuff for us, buying the christmas shit so that Violet could enjoy christmas. I invited her down to the pond back in the woods, not that you would know anything about the pond, but anyways, she started naming constellations and she looked so happy..then well one thing led to another and yeah...after it happened everything was fine, great even...but she wanted to keep it from her brothers, so I said that if we kept it from her brothers nothing else could happen". I finish and look to the boys, hoping for some advice.

    "Well?"

"I think you did the right thing". James says

"yea...I mean...yea". Alex agrees

"I like Georgia, hell I really like Georgia. But I can't go behind her brothers back, it'll just bring more trouble in the future, I already have had enough of that for a lifetime".

James and Alex chuckle.

    "You should just wait until she's ready to confess, if she really wants something with you, then she should be able to man up and take something for you". James shrugs and sets the horseshoe he just worked off onto the ground with its nails.

    "You said you really like her?" Alex asks

    "Yep".

    "Some things are worth the risk of others".

James and I both look at Alex, alarmed.

    "When the hell did you become so wise?"    

    "I got it out of a magazine". Alex grins

Alex drops the nails and one starts to roll away. Nails. Holy shit, nails.

    "When we finish up here I might need y'alls help with something, I got an idea".

Georgia's POV:

    Emily is racked out in my lap. I was stuck babysitting her when mom decided to head to bed early, because Memphis and Dakota went to some Christmas eve party. I glance to the clock.

    "11:50".

    "Alright Emmy, lets go to bed".

She doesn't move. I groan and pick her up, carrying her up the stairs and into her room. I look around downstairs to see if there's anything to keep me occupied until someone comes home.

    "Might as well go to bed". I start back up the stairs when a I hear a faint knock at the door. I freeze, who the hell would come to the house at 12 in the morning. I crack the door open and peak out.

    "Theo?"

    "Merry Christmas". He holds out a small terribly wrapped present.

    "But...I didn't get you anything".

    "So?".

    "I feel bad".

    "You shouldn't, it's homemade, meaning free".

I take the box and invite him inside the house.

    "Do you want a drink or something?" 

    "Nah, I'm good. Thanks thought". Theo leans against the wall next to the door.

    "Are you going to open it?" He asks

I move to the couch and sit down, beginning to unwrap it. Theo moves and lowers himself into a chair next to the couch. When I get the gift wrap off, it shows a small little wooden box.

    "Open the box".

I do. Inside is a horseshoe nail shaped into a heart on a leather cord. Inside the heart Autumns name is carved.

    "Theo...You, you made this?"

Theo rubs the back of his neck.   

    "Yeah, I replaced Autumns horseshoes the other day...So I used one of her old nails". He trails off.

    "I love it".

    "Really?". He smiles

    "Of course! This is the most thoughtful thing someone's ever given me". I smile and trace Autumns name. Theo opens his mouth to say something but, the front door slams open, interrupting him.

    "You kissed our fucking sister?" Memphis shouts.

    "You told them?"

    "No I told you-". Theo gets cut off by Dakota.

    "Nope, Theo didnt man up. We had to find out from Jenny at that party".

I freeze. Would she tell my brothers about the rumors going around. What if they agree? I mean they already agree with her, even though in this situation, she's for once, correct. Did the rooms just get hotter or something?

Theo's POV:

At the mention of Jenny's name Georgia seems to stiffen and she turns 5 shades lighter. Memphis and Dakota are still screaming and shouting, they don't seem to notice that Georgia looks like she's about to pass out.

"Georgia? Are you-". I'm cut off, once again, which pisses me off.

"Don't bring her into this-". I cut Memphis off

"I you would let me finish a god damn sentence, she looks like she's about to fucing pass out". I scream back. Memphis and Dakota dart over Georgia, shoving me aside in the process. I dig my fingernails into my clenched fist, trying to contain my anger.

"Georgie? Georgia? What's wrong?"

"What else did Jenny say to you guys?"

"Nothing, all she said was that she overheard you guys talking in one of the barns after her lessons".

"She-she's the one that gave me a black eye.."

They for once don't reply, instead they just look at their sister, who's become so scared of Jenny, that even the mention of her name has scared her to almost passing out.

    "She caught me in the barn the other day". Georgia starts crying, I dig my nails deeper into my fist to keep from shoving her brothers off her and hugging away the problems. It's not the right time, I keep repeating in my head.

    "She said that- she said that no one would ever love me because...cause my own dad doesn't". She open her mouth to continue but Memphis and Dakota bear hug her.

    "He loves us Georgie, he's just sick, he's very sick". Memphis says

I stand in the corner I was shoved into, letting them have their moment. Once they finish hugging Memphis and Dakota turn to me, shielding Georgia behind them. I nod and head to the door, understanding. I lost their respect for not telling them right when something happened.