Chapter 1

I open my eyes once. Then twice.

"Hey, I think she's waking up." I hear a faint voice.

I sat up against the hospital bed, shaking off the sleepiness. I had gone into surgery to take out the bullet inside me and I still have the hospital gown on. Carolina, in normal clothes for once, was in my room, sitting on my bed.

"What time is it?" I ask tiredly.

"It's about 1400." Carolina replied.

Wait a minute.. David.. "How's Wash holding up?" I ask.

"He's doing ok." She answers. "Dr. Gray said that he will fully recover soon. The date is unknown though."

I sighed in relief. "At least he's alive."

"Yes."

"Hey Beta," I called. "You doing ok?"

Beta flickers up red then her normal color. I think I was just imagine it because it was only for a millisecond. "I'm doing fine. Just have to run some tests to make sure the machine didn't mess up any of the suits systems."

I smiled. "Ok I'll leave you be then."

She nods and disappears. Dr. Gray walks in, very cheerful.

"Oh you're awake!" She exclaims. She walks over to a screen with a bunch of medical readings. "Your vitals seem normal. How's the wound?" She asks. "Any pain? Can you walk?"

"One thing at a time please." I laughed. "Wound seems okay, I don't feel any pain, and I have no clue because I just woke up."

"Well then let's get you up then!"

I slowly swing my legs to the side. I'm stiff from sitting too long. That's not good. Carolina holds out her right hand for me to grab on. I take her hand with my right and pull myself to my feet. I stumble a bit but Carolina caught me.

"Easy there. Take it slowly." She advised.

I feel the blood flowing back into my legs and a few seconds later I could stand on my own and walk.

"You know, I'm still fascinated by how many times you've been shot and survived." Dr. Gray says at her computer.

"Um.. yea.." I say uncomfortably.

Carolina throws me a bag and I catch it. "What's this?" I ask.

"With the Reds and Blues on their Pizza Quest, we finally have a break." She explains. "Once you're changed, we can head out to a restaurant or store to get some food."

"Oh my gosh. Did the Agent Carolina say that she wants a break?" I gasp. "What world did I wake up to?"

She laughs. "Just go change."

"Yes Boss." I head to the bathroom where I changed into a white hoodie, black jeans, with black combat boots. I go back and Carolina is talking to Dr. Gray about how much longer will Wash have to stay in the hospital.

"I'd estimate maybe two more weeks." She says. "I want to make sure the wound is completely healed and that he can speak clearly. Right now, it's a little.. messy."

"Two weeks isn't too bad." Carolina says.

"No it's not. But you never know what could happen in those two weeks." Dr. Gray sighs.

"I'm sure he will be fine." I say, joining in the conversation. "He survived an A.I. fragment trying to kill itself inside his mind. A bullet wound couldn't affect him that much right?"

Carolina and Dr. Gray share a concerned look. "We will just have to see." Carolina sighs.

"Speaking of Agent Washington, I have to go check on him now." Dr. Gray says.

"Can we come with you?" I ask.

"You can, but you aren't allowed to interact with the patient til I'm sure that he is fit."

"Fine by me." I replied. "I just want to see him."

***

Carolina and I stood in front of the glass blocking us from Wash. Dr. Gray was in the room doing her thing and Wash was sitting on his bed. He hasn't noticed is yet which is.. surprising.

Dr. Gray looked over at us and tapped furiously at the computer. The glass shimmered and a speaker came on our end.

"So how are you feeling today?" Dr. Gray asked Wash.

"Better." He answered. "But where is she?"

"Pardon?"

"Where is Abby?"

I froze.

"Abby- oh.. you mean Agent Alaska."

"No I mean Abby."

"What does he mean by that?" I questioned. "Alaska and Abby are the same person aka me."

"Dr. Gray told me that his memory got a bit.. jumbled when he when through shock from the bullet. She says it will clear up soon but no clue when." Carolina informs.

"I hate it when there's not enough information.." I muttered.

Carolina nudged me away from the window and out of the hospital. By now, it's pass 1600. She led me to a nearby restaurant where we picked up an order of Chinese food and went to her apartment.

"You know, I would have never expected that you would like Chinese." I commented as I set the table for dinner.

"Well it was quick and nearby." She says, as she sets up the food. "And yes, I do like Chinese."

We sat down and started dinner. We talked about random things. I told Carolina about the mercenary life I had before I met up with her and Wash. She told me how she survived being thrown off a cliff. We even talked about old Freelancer things.

It was great.

Except, I wished that York and Wash were here to enjoy the moment with us.