Chapter 8

"I can't believe you jinxed us." I scolded my brother a few days later as he set a crate on the table.

"Hey I didn't know that we would be actually be doing inventory." He defends.

So yea you can probably guess what happened: York and I were told to do an Inventory of the Armory by President Kimball as a precaution in case the Covenant decides to attack.

I just roll my eyes at him and asked. "Is this the last one?"

"Yep. It should be crate of armor enhancements." York opens the crate, revealing the various armor enhancements.

"You know.. I don't think Kimball would mind if we test some of these." York winks at me and I know exactly where he is going.

"York, we aren't testing the equipment. We're only taking inventory." I reminded him.

"Well what good are they if they don't work?"

I sigh. "You know that I have a bad history with testing things."

"You don't have to if you don't want to." He tells me softly before picking up a random enhancement. "Be right back." He heads over to a work station to install the enhancement in his armor.

I quickly take inventory the rest of the abilities in the crate. All were accounted for except the teleport enhancement.

I laugh to myself. This reminds me when Church told me to jump out of a building and knowing that York is going to be pretty bad at using it, this is going to be a ton of fun.

"I think I installed it right." York says, walking back to me.

"Usually that means you didn't. Turn around."

"What? You don't have faith in my mechanic skills?" York asks as he turns around.

"There's a reason why I'm the mechanic of the family and not you."

I checked the small device partly inserted in one of the enhancement slots. "Yeah, you did a fantastic job installing it." I say sarcastically as I grab a screwdriver from the work station and working in installing it correctly.

"Are you done yet?" York asks impatiently.

"Patience young Padawan. I'm almost done."

"You know I'm older than you."

"Yea, you remind me every day." I tighten the last screw and step back. "There. Now you won't blow up."

"Wait I could blow up?"

"If your enhancement isn't installed correctly, obviously."

York gulps. "Yeah, it's a good thing your the mechanic.."

York and I slip on our helmets and walked out to the vehicle bay. Luckily, no one was there so we can do the "test" in peace.

"So.. how do I use this?" York taps on his wrist pad trying to figure out how to activate it.

"Ok first: don't press any-"

"Wait.. maybe this button-"

As soon as he pushed the button, York disappears from my sight.

I shake my head and facepalm. Low-key my fault for not telling him what enhancement it is but to be fair, he didn't give me time to tell him. "Beta, do you have his location?" I ask.

"Yep. Northeast, 50 feet."

I teleport over and find York with his head in a trash can. I started laughing. "Did you enjoy your first jump?"

York finishes his business and stands up straight. "Why didn't you tell me that it was your enhancement? And more importantly, how the heck do you manage to do multiple jumps at once?!"

"Because you didn't give me time to tell you and also I thought it would be funny and it was." I giggled.

"Just teach me how to use this thing." York says in annoyance.

"Fineeee." I teleport to his side and held up his wrist. "All you have to do is think about where you want to go that is within-" I quickly checked his safe range on the enhancement. "500 feet."

I teleport over to a mongoose about 25 feet away. "Try teleporting to me."

York shifts uncertainty. "Are you sure that's all I have to do? No coordinates or anything?"

"Coordinates are nice but let's face it: do you really want to type out the numbers while trying to fight someone?"

"No..?"

"Exactly. Now stop being a baby and just teleport to me." I cross my arms, waiting for him to jump.

York shakes his head and starts concentrating on the jump. He takes a deep breath before pushing the button making him disappears and then reappear by my side, only losing his balance a bit.

"Not to bad." I praise.

"I'm still wondering how you do this with ease." York says as he regains his balance.

"Well.. I had to learn the hard way."

"Which is..?"

"Falling from a building and into a Pelican." I reply. "Anyway, since you got that down. Maybe we should go ahead and switch you over to helmet control. That way you don't have to press a button."

"I thought I told you two to take Inventory of the Armory."

York and I stood at attention, side-by-side. Kimball walks towards us and waits for an answer.

So much for fun..

"We did. It's just that we decided to.. test somethings out to make sure their working." My brother says.

"Do you have a report?" She asks.

I quickly teleport over to the Armory, grabbed the Holopad, and teleported back. "Here it is."

I hand it to her and Kimball looks through it. "Just don't break anything." She orders as she closes the Holopad and tucks it under her arm.

"We're pretty responsible." York says confidently. "We have everything under control."

"You mean, I'm pretty responsible." I corrected.

"Watch it Kid Sister." York warned.

"As long as you don't damage anything, I will allow you to continue testing." Kimball says. "If one thing gets damaged, you are paying for it."

York and I shift uncomfortably. There's no way I'm going to be able to afford a really expensive armor enhancement.

"Also, I agree with Alaska being the responsible one." She adds, before walking away from us.

"Told you." I smirked.

"Just help me learn how to use this."