Chapter 3

I woke up in the same hospital room as last week. This time: I was alone.

"You feeling better A?"

Scratch that, I wasn't alone.

"Doing better." I replied. "And you?"

Beta doesn't answer me and changes the subject. "Wash was released from the hospital a day ago. Carolina is keeping an eye on him."

"That's good." I stand up and stretch. "How long was I out this time?"

"Only two days." She replies. "Since Carolina suffered a similar situation as you, Dr. Gray was able to get all the information she needed so no tests for you."

I grab my helmet and weapons and walked out of the room. I met Dr. Gray in the hallway and she cleared me for release. I have no idea where Wash and Carolina could be, so I just walked to the training course. A little bit of actual training would help.

When I got to the course, I didn't see Carolina or Wash there. I don't have their new frequencies so I have no idea how to contact them.

Well, at least it's just me and the training course. No distractions.

I did my normal stretches and was about to run the course again but Beta stopped me. "I may or may not have downloaded a couple training simulations from Project Freelancer.."

"Wait are you serious?" I asked.

"See for yourself."

The inside of my helmet goes black before coming back on, revealing the Freelancer Main Training Room.

"What.."

"I thought a familiar setting would help a bit." Beta says, appearing.

I looked around and it feels like I'm back at the Project. Before all the craziness happened.

"It's amazing.." I say in awe. "Now this brings back memories. Thanks Beta."

"Of course. Now let's start with something simple." She pulls up two monitors and starts controlling the simulation. Two rows of green targets appeared around me spinning opposite of each other.

I shake my hands and get into a ready position. "Ready when you are."

"On my mark. 3.. 2.. 1.. Mark."

I did a jab then reverse, and then my muscle memory took over. The routine was a bit off but I'm surprised that I still remembered. Then came the 360 Round Kick.  I jumped in the air and managed to hit the last target, but I had to put my arms out to keep my balance afterwards.

"Not bad. A 1.3% increase." Beta reports. "Could of been higher if you landed that last one."

"Hey that was my first go ok?" I shake my hands again and got into the ready position. "Run it again Beta."

Beta runs it again and I complete it with a bit of a stubble on the last kick. But not as bad as last time.

"2.4% increase."

"Again."

"Are you sure? It's your first proper training routine after a few months maybe even a year. You don't want to over work your body."

I jump up and down. "I'm not leaving till I get it right."

She sighs and pulls up the simulation again. "Just don't push yourself. I don't want you to go back to Dr. Gray saying you broke something. She might keep you on a leash."

"Very funny, but I promise I'll be fine." I assured.

I did the simulation 4 more times before I landed the 360 Round Kick perfectly.

"5.8% increase that round." Beta reports.

I take off my helmet and wiped the sweat off my forehead. "That's going to be my last round for physical training. Might head to the shooting range to practice my aim."

Beta appears in the real world. "That might be a good idea."

"Bet."

We, well I, hiked back to New Armonia and went to the shooting range. Since I am one of the three Freelancers that helped in the civil war, Kimball gave me VIP access to a private room, with a bunch of different weapons and armor abilities, where I can train by myself.

It's nice having all these perks, ya know?

"Right Beta, what weapon should we do?" I ask.

"You still need to work on your Knife Combat so maybe you could do that?"

"Yea I think that's a good place to start." I pull out my knife from it's sheath and studied it. It wasn't just an ordinary combat knife. It's had a steel handle with a yellow line on the blade.

It was Wash's favorite knife.. yet he still gave it to me.

~~~

Project Freelancer
Many Years Ago

"You're getting better." I praised.

For the past few weeks, Wash and I trained very early in one of the smaller training rooms together. I would help him on his aim and he would teach me Knife Combat.

Wash lowers his Battle Rifle and looks at his target. Almost all the bullets hit the bullseye with a acception of one or two outside it.

"Because I have a good teacher." He looks at me and winks, which makes me blush.

"Hey I just showed you how to do it. The rest was all you." I tell him. I look at the time on the clock and realized it was almost time for breakfast. "C'mon we got to get to the mess hall before York and North eat everything."

"Wait."

I look back at Wash. "I want to give you something."

He pulls out his Combat Knife and puts the handle in my hand. I studied the knife and realized what he gave me.

A part of him.

I shake my head. "Wash.. I-I can't. You love this knife.."

"Which is why I want you to have it." He smiled.

I smiled back. "Thank you."

"There's just two rules when owning this knife."

"There just had to be a catch." I laughed. "What is it?"

"1) Don't lose it. And 2) if you use it in any training, I want to be there to see you train."

"Sounds simple enough."

~~~

New Armonia
Present Day

I sighed. "Sorry David.. looks like I'll be breaking rule 2 today."

I put on my helmet and I'm back in the Freelancer Training Room.

"Right, Beta run some drills."