Chapter 6

"Not really." I answered in a joking manner.

"That is kind of.. harsh Agent Alaska." Delta says, appearing.

"It was a joke Delta." I said annoyed.

"Delta..?" Carolina whispers in shock.

"A joke?" Delta asks.

I look at my brother. "Your A.I. is too serious. How do you go throughout your day with him?" I complained.

"You get used to it." He tells me.

"How are you still alive?" Carolina speaks up. "Agent Wyoming-"

"Killed me? Almost." York says. "But your friend did a great job killing him for me."

"But how did you survive?" Carolina asks in her I-need-to-know voice.

"I think we should leave them alone." Beta says in my head.

"Yea that's a good idea.." I coughed and they both looked at me. "I'll let you guys catch up. I'll be heading to the shooting range." I look at York. "Don't sneak up on me when I'm training."

"Hey it was only that one time." York said defensively. "And actually Kimball needs to talk to you."

So she really does need something.. "Alright, I'll be with Kimball then."

I say my goodbyes to York and Carolina and walked out of the office. President Kimball was waiting outside, sitting on one of the chairs. She gets up when she sees me approaching her.

"Alaska." She greets.

"President Kimball. My brother said that you needed something?" I say.

"Yes but don't you want to catch up with him?" Kimball asks. "It's been a long while since you two have seen each other."

"I think it's more important for him to explain to Carolina first." I replied. "Plus I saw him last week when he tried to spook me in the shooting range."

"Very well then. Walk with me to the War Room. I will explain the situation."

"Of course."

We walked side by side towards the War Room.

"So what's the situation?" I ask.

"It's not confirmed by anyone yet but there's a possibility that the Covenant is back." Kimball answers.

"The Covenant?" I say in surprise. "How did you find out?"

"Your brother was on one of the colonies when one of the rebel Covenant groups attacked. He thought it would be best to investigate the other colonies to make sure that they hadn't been attacked. After finding out the other attacks, he came to Chorus because he believes that we might get hit next due to the alien artifacts we have here."

"And here I thought the Great War was over and finished.."

"It is, but that doesn't mean the Covenant is finished."

Another Great War.. brilliant.

She opens the door to the War Room and turned on the Main Holo table where a giant map of the galaxy appears.

"There has been reports about small Covenant attacks on the outer colonies." She pressed a button and red dots appeared on some of the outer planets. All of them in a straight line.

"Which colony did they hit first?" Beta asks, appearing on the Holo table.

"Talitsa. They managed to defend the attack but it was still a surprise."

"And then they worked their way around the outer ring." I concluded. "Their last attack: Escala III."

"I am still surprised how people can live on a planet that's been glassed. It's.. remarkable." Beta says in awe.

"Focus on the current task Beta." I reminded her.

Beta starts flickering red. "DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO."

Kimball steps back in surprise while I just sigh. "Beta, I just need you to focus on this problem ok?"

Beta stops flickering and looks away. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"It's ok. Just focus."

She pulls up data in front of her and start making calculations. "I'm going to have to go dark for a minute to make the calculations faster."

"Then do it." I say. She nods to me before disappearing from the room.

"Is there something with your A.I. 'laska?" Kimball asks.

"I.. don't want to talk about it."

Kimball gives me a sympathetic look before Beta comes back with her findings.

"By the looks of these attacks, they seem spread out in a sense. About a month or so gap from each attack." She reports.

I studied the map carefully. The Covenant seem to hide it's small attacks pretty well. The semi long gaps between the attacks and each attack on different planets help disguise it from the UNSC.

"Usually, their battle strategy is very weak," I recalled. "but I have a feeling that this was all planned."

"What do you mean?" Kimball asks.

"The Covenant's main goal is to intimate." Beta explains. "They don't take the time to analyze human tactics and when the battle turns south, they just glass the planet."

"But the attack colonies weren't glassed.."

"Correct." I confirmed. "If Talitsa managed to survive the attack without getting glassed, they either got lucky or the Covenant has different plans."

I turn to my A.I. "I think I still have some files somewhere in storage from Project Freelancer that could help a bit."

"I'll take a look." Beta disappears back into my suit.

Kimball gives me a confused look. "What does Project Freelancer have to do with this?"

"During my time there, the Director had me take certain classes as an experiment to see how much information a soldier could obtain in a period of time." I explained. "One of those classes was studying the Covenant and what they are capable of."

"So I'm assuming you know a lot more about the Covenant than anyone on this planet?" Kimball asks.

"I wouldn't say that. My brother took the class with me." I focus the galaxy map to the outer colonies. "But I still don't understand why would they start another war with us. The UNSC and their allies beat them so why try again?"

"That's a good question Kid Sister."

I look towards the War Room entrance to see my brother and Carolina walking in.

"Whatever they're doing, it's going to affect Chorus no matter what." York says.

"How much time you think we got before they come here?" I ask.

"Maybe 4 months." He estimated. "But they might send a recon squad earlier than that."

"That's not much time." Kimball sighs.

"Most of your citizens are trained soldiers." Carolina reminded her. "If even half of them agree to fight off the Covenant, we have a decent army to defend Chorus with. And that's not including the Reds and Blues and us."

"Speaking of the Reds and Blues, where are they?" I ask. "They're supposed to be back by now from getting their pizza."

"You know them 'laska. They probably got wrapped up in another little adventure." Carolina sighs.

"That's probably the case." I agreed.

"Who are the Reds and Blues?" York asked cluelessly.