Chapter 5 The Man Who Doesn't Know The Word No

Chapter 5 The Man Who Doesn't Know The Word NO

           Ten minutes after Ms. Winnie went into the kitchen she was back with a steaming plate of friend chicken with mash potatoes and slaw. She went around to the seat beside Jamie all the time firing question after question at him about his trip. I didn't stick around to listen. I made myself busy with the few people in the booths. I did everything I could to steer clear of them.
          I know Ms. Winnie thought I was just joking when I told her he'd creeped me out but I wasn't. I'm use to the occasional pick up line from a customer, just laugh it off and keep going. Though Hulks first line wasn't an original the rest was definitely a first. Where have I been his whole life? Who even says that to someone they just meet? No sane person obviously.
         Oh and the way he stared at me. As if he could see right through me. All the pain and scars hidden behind my thick walls. The longer I gazed into his eyes the more unstable I felt. Like I was on shaky ground waiting to fall into my darkest place with Jamie already there waiting. It scared the shit out of me.
         Jamie stayed at the diner for two hours talking with Ms. Winnie and Gus when he finished his orders. The group chats and laughed making fun of each other, and stories from their past. I tried to keep myself busy with small task once my last customer left from the lunch rush all to keep out of sight.
        I caught myself staring at Jamie several times from across the restaurant. His laugh was loud and booming almost demanding you pay it attention. He took his hat off before he started eating leaving the curls on top of his head wild. The almost black color had small spots of white just at the edges of his temple. Where ever his project was it was definitely in sunny climates. He had raccoon eyes from his sunglasses keeping his eyes from burning like the rest of his face.
          I wonder if the corded muscles from his neck to his broad shoulders were the same color as his face. Maybe even his chest and abs too...
         I blew out a breath and grabbed the bucket of dirty dishes and took them to the kitchen. Maybe I can scrub my brain clean along with the plates. I took extra time making sure everything sparkles before I headed back out to the front. Thankfully Jamie had left by the time I came back.
         "So Marie, how'd you like my nephew Jamie? That boy has his own sense of humor but a heart of gold." Me Winnie was beaming with pride as she talked about Jamie. I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth, so instead I just shrugged my shoulders, "Alright I guess. Didn't really spend my time with him before I came and got you. Then I had other customers to take care of so I just made myself busy and gave y'all some privacy."
         Thankfully Alex came running through the doors followed closely by Bree. "Hey babies!" "Momma!" I bent down just in time to catch Alex and swing him in my arms. Bree came to my other side and wrapped her arms around my waist and squeezed. "Were you guys good for Ms. Pearl and Ms. Mabel?" They gave me both a "Yes Ma'am", before they spotted Gus coming back from the kitchen with a plate of chocolate chip cookies then running to him.
         Ms. Mabel came through the front door then smiling as usual. She came up to the counter and sat her purse down before taking her jacket off already wearing her apron for work. "How were they really Ms. Mabel, any trouble?" "Nothing I can't handle child I promise. We played school for about an hour then I tricked them into helping me with some chores before they finally got to go outside and play for a while. They even made you a surprise back at the trailer. How was everything here?"
         The sisters had probably informed each other of their returned nephew so I didn't bring it up. "Same as yesterday. I guess I gotta wrangle these two away from the cookies where I can get them home now. I'll see you in the morning." "Till then, bye angels I'll see y'all in the morning."
          Bree and Alex both headed for the door without groaning about leaving the cookies which was a miracle in itself. We made it to the trailer five minutes later. We all decided what we wanted for supper and the kids helped me put it all together. Once we were finished and had everything cleaned up I made them both take a bath. I had to bribe them with a movie before bed before they stopped complaining. They were both out long before the credits rolled.
          I moved them both to the room they shared and put them in their beds. I gave them both a kiss on the forehead before I tiptoed back out into the hall. This was always the time of day I hated most. The quiet after the kids are finally asleep and the noise stops I never know what to do with myself. There is only so much you can think about before it slowly starts to drive you crazy.
         I went to the bathroom and did my nightly routine hoping once I laid my head down I'd get a break and fall straight to sleep. I shit my light off then crawled under the cover on my bed. Sleep claimed me straight away, but the man who visited my dreams that night looked strangely familiar.
        The next day it was just me and Gus in the diner. Ms. Winnie said she needed to run some errands and would be back in a few hours. The lunch rush was nearing its end when Jamie walked back in. After my dream last night he was the last person I wanted to see.
         I quickly called out a greeting then hide behind the counter trying to will my blushing cheeks away. I gave them a solid minute before I came out of my hiding spot and headed toward the counter were Jamie sat.
         He had on a polo shirt like the one from yesterday but no cap this time. He'd gotten a haircut since then also. The curls on top of his head seemed a lot neater than yesterday.  From rugged to handsome with just a few snips.
         I only had one other table that were almost done so I didn't have an excuse to leave him as soon as possible, and with Ms. Winnie gone I couldn't ask her to take him again. I gave myself a quick pep talk then stopped right in front of him. "Hi again, I'm Marie if you forgot. Ms. Winnie is gone so you're stuck with me. What can I get you?"
       "That sounds nice I'll have that." That same cocky smirk was on his face. I saw it most of the night.
       "What?" I didn't know what he thought sounded nice. I didn't suggest anything and he hadn't even looked at the menu.
       "Being stuck with you. Where do I sign up? Gotta make sure I'm first in line and there's no competition." Jamie wiggled his eyebrows at me after he finished.
       I tried so hard, but failed miserably as the laugh I tried to hold in cane out at this grown man's juvenile behavior. That megawatt smile came out in full force as I cracked up.
       "Had that line ever worked for you?" I asked him while wiping tears from my face.
       "Don't know yet. Are you saying yes?" There is always something wrong with the super-hot ones, and this one is delusional.
       "Nope Hulk, you're still 0 for 2." I gave him my best death glare hoping he got my message loud and clear.
        "At least there's always tomorrow right?"
        "Is that the day pigs are supposed to fly?"
        "That was yesterday so your all clear to give it a go. You were the one that offered sweetheart."
        That cocky smirk was really getting on my nerves now. I bite my lip to stop from calling him a smartass and a few other things. Instead I turned to him with a smile, grinding my back teeth, and asked him, "What do you want to eat?"
        "Are you on the menu? You're the sweetest looking thing I've ever seen."
        I felt the blush coming back with a quickness. Hopefully he'll just mistake it for anger. "No!" I all but growled the word at him.
        "Damn, ok then. I'll just have the chicken." I grabbed the menu off the counter in front of him and stalked back toward the kitchen. Maybe I can talk Gus into letting me cook and he wait on the jerk.
         Like clockwork, the next few days Jamie came back right as the lunch crowd was winding down. Each day he would turn everything I asked into a pickup line. Some were really funny and no matter how hard I tried I just could hide my laughter. He just never knew when to quit.
         Twice I had to walk out the back door of the diner and take a breather after dealing with Jamie. It was either go outside or punch the asshat in the face. I don't think Ms. Winnie and the ladies would like me hitting their nephew though. That was his only saving grace.
         On the tenth day Jamie came into the diner he seemed off. He wasn't acting like his confident, cocky self. Instead he was subdued, almost nervous really. As soon as he sat down he started to fidget with the utensils spinning them around. His leg was tapping a steady rhythm on the bar of the chair he sat on that seemed to be getting faster as it went on.
        I went ahead and got him a sweet tea before I headed over to his seat. For the past ten days he's came in he's ordered the same thing, fried chicken and sweet tea. I stopped asking around day four hoping to stop the lines from coming as well. They didn't.
       "Hi Jamie, how's your day so far?" I've got in the habit of choosing my words carefully around him where he can't turn them into something else again. Safe topics were my normal go to with him.
        "Can I ask your advice about something? Promise no funny business." He was giving me that deep stare. The same one from the first day we met. This time felt worse because Jamie was serious and he has never been serious around me.
        "Ok, what type of advice do you need?"
        "Well, theirs this woman I met a few days ago...." I tossed my hands in the air and started waving them at him to stop as soon as he said woman.
        "Nope, not happening. I'm so not qualified to give love advice, and truthfully I don't think I can listen to yours." I made a step to turn and go back toward the kitchen, but Jamie stopped me.
         "Please Marie! I promise it's not bad. I really just need some advice. I've tried all my best stuff. I tell her every time I see her how beautiful she is. I spend hours at night thinking up the most ridiculous pickup lines just where I can hear her laugh. That sound alone brightens my day. Since I first laid eyes on her she's been all I can think about. She's there every night in my dreams, and gets me through my day. I wanna ask her out on a date, but she's already shot everything else down I don't know what else to do. It's been driving me crazy all night!"
         My heart sank. He must be talking about me. I prayed with everything in me that I was wrong though. "Just ask her Jamie." I had to fight to get the words out past the knot lodged in the back of my throat. I just got my freedom from Dewayne the last thing I need now is another man to come in and destroy it again. Jamie might be a nice guy but my luck in that department is atrocious.
         Jamie took a deep breath and moved his hold from my elbow to my hand. I squeezed my eyes tight closed. The universe sure has a cruel sense of humor. The man of my dreams (literally) was about to ask me out, and I was too much of a scared broken mess to say yes.
         "Marie, since the first day I saw you standing in that very spot I haven't been able to get you off my mind. Your gorgeous, sweet, and have nothing but kind words for everyone you see. You have mesmerized me and I want to know everything there is to know about you. So, will you go to dinner with me this Friday?"
         Can you understand how much I wanted to say yes! To be the old me that wouldn't hesitate to give this man whatever he needs. To be the outgoing person I use to be who didn't let anything hold her back from what she wanted. But I'm not her anymore. Haven't been for years and don't think I ever will be.
         I opened my eyes letting Jamie see the disappointment deep in my heart. "I'm so sorry Jamie. I can't." I slide my hand from his then made my way to the back door of the diner. No one needed to see what was about to come. The old me was dead and I finally accepted it.

***************************************

How y'all like Jamie? Let me know as always!
Callie

© 2018 Copyright by Callie Sumner. All rights reserved.