Chapter 15 Five Days In Hell (Maries POV)

Chapter 15 5 Days in Hell (Marie's POV)

It's officially been five days since the kids and Dewayne were reported missing. Five days of me living out of this retro style motel room in the middle of FreeState. I just can't bring myself to leave.
The police told me to go home and if there were any new developments they would call me and let me know.
But they didn't know where Dewayne could have gone, and no leads at the moment to even start to look. How could anyone do that? Just disappear like that without a trace.
Since Wednesday afternoon when my favorite officer Dent told me to leave again, I took his advice, but not in the way he meant. I haven't left the smokers loving, stale, lumpy bed since!
These itchy motel blankets have been my security blanks. Helping me believe even if just for a moment Bree and Alex would walk through the door at any second. They are both just down at the local ice cream parlor getting as much chocolate ice cream they can handle.
Running around the playground in the back trying to work off the instant sugar rush. Bree's long sandy brown hair flying behind her as she chases Alex to the swing set. I can hear their laughs like they are right beside me in my safe haven.
The unwanted need to use the bathroom is the only thing that seems to break me from my daydreams. Well, except Jamie.
Jamie was in my dreams with me and the kids last night. Playing at the park like we did on one of our first dates. I was even more of a mess when I woke up. I can't allow myself to think of Jamie right now.
I know it's my fault my kids were taken. Dewayne always told me while we were married in his unfounded jealous rages, if he caught me with someone other than him. He'd take care of the asshole and take the kids somewhere I'd never be able to see them again. He never thought I'd leave him.
I always threaten I would. Especially during those nights he wanted sex and I made the mistake of saying no. I won't go into details, but it was never pretty.
When the kids and I had officially been gone for a month Dewayne's threats changed to someday soon your gonna want them back, but you'll never be able to find them.
I've learned not to dismiss anything that psycho says, but I thought he couldn't touch us anymore.
See I forgot a major life lesson when I decided to make a new life for me and the kids. No matter how much you change, you can't change the people around you. I've been taught first-hand how much that lesson can hurt.
Jamie made me forget that for a while. That's the only excuse I can give. He showed me a kindness I've never seen from another human before. He actually talked with me instead of to me. He valued my opinion, and always asked how I felt about something.
On the very rare occasion I told him I don't like something he does everything to make sure it doesn't happen again. He brings out so many different emotions in me I've never had the chance to feel before.
As Shay already told me I light up like the star on top of the Christmas tree when I talk Jamie. I tried to make sure Dewayne never saw those feelings I had toward Jamie. I didn't want Dewayne to see me happy and do something to the kids to remind me of his threats.
I guess that all went out the window the day of the picnic when Dewayne caught Jamie and I talking for the second time.
'Dewayne's never shown up early to anything in his life, so what made him show up early that day?'
I was spitting mad, and scared shitless at the same time. Dewayne saw echo was trying to hide from him. How I had to have some form of co tact from Jamie for me to remain standing there talking to him. Dewayne's eyes practically glowed in triumph when Jamie came to my defense.
Dewayne just wanted to see how far he could go before he hit Jamie's last button, and Jamie didn't disappoint. He had to prove Jamie had feelings for his ex-wife.
I, of course, knew what Dewayne was trying to do, but I was so mad at the moment I didn't give a damn. "Yes I found a man, something you'll never be. Who's the fucking ugly ass unlovable troll now?" I was so proud of myself the day after he left. I stood my ground against Dewayne! It really was starting to become a pattern. But I remember all my lessons Dewayne taught me over those ten long years.
I'll keep letting Jamie's calls go to voicemail till it can't accept anymore. I'll leave all his text unopened and locked away. I hope he can move on, because lord knows I'll never be happy again.
I keep staying in the crappy motel all where Dewayne will know exactly where I am, and will know I came back to him. If that's what I gotta do to see my babies again so be it. I'll stay in this bed watching videos the kids and I made on my phone under my security fort just where I can hear their voices.
Because I really don't know how to fight anymore. I have no clue what the next step is when dealing with a man like Dewayne in this situation. So I go to the only place where none of this is real.
Alex up, beating on my bedroom door, demanding I get up and make him his favorite pancakes. Bree still sound asleep in bed. Just our typical Saturday morning.
The banging in my dream started out normal but was continuing to get louder. What was once Alex's voice started to turn into someone else's? I would know that voice anywhere.
I'm out of bed and at the door before I realized my feet were even moving. I threw open the door with my first smile in days.
"You're here!"

***************************************

I got a dollar on everyone of y'all guess wrong on who's behind that door!
Leave a comment with your guess!
Callie

© 2018 Copyright by Callie Sumner. All rights reserved.