Chapter 31 Taking Back Whats Mine (Maries POV)

Chapter 31 The Taking Back What's Mine (Marie's POV)

I couldn't close my eyes the entire night. I felt like I was in a dream and would wake up any second just to be told it wasn't true. By the time the sun came up that morning I'd drank four cups of coffee, a first in my life, and was bouncing to go.
We made it to Old Man Snows remote cabin about thirty minutes later. It looked like what you would imagine a screen from a horror movie to look like. Old and falling apart, the house was covered in the moss from the trees along the back of the bayou running behind it. There was a medium sized fan boat on the bank.
Mr. Snow in his late seventies with a head full of Snow White hair and beard that hung down his chest stopping at the pot belly covered cover-all's. The smile he gave us when he saw us showed all the wrinkles around his face.
Elizabeth introduced us one by one and when he shook my hand he mumbled something to me. His accent was so thick I didn't understand him. I turned to Elizabeth and asked her to translate which she found hilarious.
"He said that man is a low down piece of trash and if he'd of known about this before he'd shown up he'd shot Dewayne on the spot." Elizabeth finished with a smile and old man Snow just gave me a shrug and agreed. I believed the old man would do it too. I liked this old man. I gave him a quick hug and told him thank you.
Jamie put his arm around my waist as we were walking to the boat. "You don't realize it but you make everyone fall in love with you instantly." He whispered in my ear before giving me a kiss to the temple. "To bad for them, because I have what they want."
I slid my hand in Jamie's back pocket and gave his ass a squeeze. As long as I had this man to walk beside me the rest of my life I could handle anything. We all climbed into the boat, me in the middle with Elizabeth and Jamie on each side.
Brandon stood by Mr. Snow asking him questions. He must have got his answers because he gave him a nod yes then Mr. Snow turned to us. He told us all to "Hold Tight" then brought the giant fan to life.
Brandon and Elizabeth stayed in our room till midnight calling in teams from nearby and giving everyone the new information about Dewayne. Where they could finally track his movements finally knowing his alias gave them the proof they needed to finally prove Denton was the one helping him. They found the trail of places he'd been before. Staying anywhere from two days to the longest at two weeks.
Twice we missed him by mere hours. Brandon was able to pull together eight men for today. Two teams of four that were to head down the Bayou Rd from both ends. They should be hiding in the woods surrounding the cabin ten minutes before we arrived.
The wind from the boat was making a mess of my hair, and I kept trying to gather it into my fist but failed miserably. My anxiety was at an all-time high and I couldn't sit still for much longer. My legs were bouncing so fast I looked like I was trying to jump off the boat.
Jamie placed his hand on my knee and gave it a squeeze. He gave me a knowing smile. Elizabeth shouted "10 minutes" to make sure we heard her over the noise. When it finally clicked in my head what she meant I looked at Jamie showing him all my fears.
I couldn't dare voice them, not this time. We'd come so far and it was almost over for anything to go wrong now. Jamie read the panic in my eyes. He put his arm around my shoulder and lent toward my ear moving the headphones were I could hear him. "Trust me baby. I'm getting our kids back today. I can feel it."
I soaked up his confidence and let the doubts fly away. A few minutes later old man Snow started slowing the boat down. The waterway was no bigger than a one way road with the trees so close together they blocked out almost all the light. Mr. Snow pulled the boat into a small clearing in the trees. I couldn't see anything but the trees and darkness. Not a spot touched by humanity in sight.
Brandon came around to the front of the boat and jumped out. I guess that was our sign to do the same. Mr. Snow waited till we were all standing on the bank gear in hand before getting our attention. "The house is just up the way along the banks. You can't miss it. Sorry I can't get closer the boats to load and I don't want him to hear us."
"You did great Mr. Snow. Just give us five minutes then you can head on back. We'll catch a ride home." Elizabeth affectionately told the old man. Brandon took the lead with Elizabeth at his side. Jamie and I not far behind them.
Fifteen feet into the overgrown bushes I couldn't see the boat anymore. I should have put up more of a fight to bring at least one flashlight with me. You see on TV shows all the time about gators and snakes longer than a bus living in the bayou. My guardian angel was working overtime at the moment.
After walking a little more than a football field Brandon stopped and turned to face us. "Ok Jamie and Marie y'all sit here. Elizabeth and I are going to scout ahead. We will be back in no more than five minutes with a plan then will go in. Got it?"
I felt like a bobble head shaking my head ok. Too nervous to even speak. Brandon gave Elizabeth some hand signal then they faded into the darkness. I tried my best to follow them with my eyes, but within seconds the darkness ate them whole. I wrapped myself around Jamie's torso and buried my face in his chest.
The strange animal sounds and water splashing nearby were making me shake like a baby. Never in my life did I think I would be standing in a place like this willingly. Jamie started running his fingers threw my hair with one hand and rubbing my back with the other trying to calm me down.
He started humming my favorite song Ed Sheeran 'Thinking Out Loud' and started to sway side to side. I couldn't help but smile up at him. As soon as he noticed he started singing the rest of the song to me.
"Cuz Baby, we found Love right where we are. Yeah, we found Love right where we are."
When he finished I grabbed his face and kissed him with all my love. When I couldn't breathe I pulled away smiling. "I love you so much Jamie Shaw."
"It couldn't come close to how I feel about you." I believed him. For all the shitty things Dewayne put me through gave me zero self-worth, but this man showed me how strong I was on my own. With him by my side I could do anything from my wildest dreams. Jamie is my dream.
I snapped out of my daydream when I heard footsteps. Elizabeth stepped into sight first followed by Brandon. Brandon swing he small backpack he and Elizabeth both carried off his back and pulled a small notebook and pen out.
"Ok the shack is straight ahead. Theirs a small overgrown driveway at the other end of the shack. That's where the team is going to come in. Elizabeth and I are going to come in from the center, you two are going to stay close to the bank and enter from there."
The lines and x's on the paper reminded me of something Alex would try and explain to me. "We're gonna walk till you see the edge of the tree line, then then I want y'all to wait exactly one minute for us to make it to our spot. I'm gonna whistle when we're ready then we move in together. Got it?"
We all gave him a quick nod of approval. "No matter what, wait where you are till you hear me whistle ok." Brandon looked directly at me making sure I got his point.
"I got it Bro. Just know I'm not leaving here without my kids and that asshole behind bars got me." With Jamie's deceleration my adrenaline kicked into overdrive. Elizabeth and Brandon went quietly making their way back and following their earlier tracks. Jamie and I went along the edge of the water.
After walking about five minutes Jamie held his hand up signaling me to stop. The trees were thinner here and the roof of the shack was visible from where we were standing. We walked closer to the edge of the tree line slowly.
The shack was small and looked like Mr. Snows little version. While I was scanning the surrounding my eyes landed on the person we'd been searching for so long. Dewayne was outside not far in front of us.
I looked at Jamie in wonder, then before I knew what I was going I started running toward Dewayne. Jamie wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into his chest right at the edge of the clearing.
I tried to get away and keep running at Dewayne. My personal boogeyman was fifteen feet in front of me with his back turned toward us. He was shouting at Bree and Alex.
The scene before me was like one of my nightmares. The kids were tied to a stump making their body lean over until their bottoms were in the air. Bath had tears and snot running down their faces.
Alex was wet and shaking uncontrollably while Bree was pleading with her father to let them go and how sorry she was. Dewayne just laughed and brought his hand above his head. The metal from his belt buckle hanging half way down his arm reflected on the only beam of light coming through the trees.
I covered my mouth quickly. I had to stop either the scream of terror or vomit from leaving my mouth at the realization of what that man planned to do to my babies.
"Now you little shits gone learn today." Dewayne screamed at the kids before he swung, and all hell broke loose.

***************************************

Haha close but no cigar! Y'all just gotta keep going to find out the rest!
Callie

© 2018 Copyright by Callie Sumner. All rights reserved.