Chapter 7 Kids Always Seem To Get Their Way

Chapter 7 Kids Seem to Always Get Their Way

                  The rest of the week leading up to our little outing on Sunday, I was in a crappy mood. The fact that Jamie had won by going through my kids really irked me for some reason. Just a dirty move in my book.
           As soon as we made it back to the diner the kids told the sisters every detail of our day along with the friend of mommies that joined us, and their excitement over the zoo trip to come. Thankfully after that the sisters didn't bring it up again. Maybe they could feel my wrath from afar.
          Jamie still came in everyday and made sure to remind me how much he couldn't wait for our 'trip' together. Every day after he would leave I would go out the back door of the diner and throw a fit like a four year old.
          I know I shouldn't be that angry at the man for just trying to do something nice, but I couldn't stop thinking about him long enough to calm down. The loop was just getting longer by the day bleeding into my dreams as well the last few nights. That smirk. That laugh. That sinful body. The feeling I get in the pit of my stomach when he stares at me. It's all I freaking thought about!
         Sunday morning came and the kids were up before the birds itching to go. They were up and dressed well before Jamie agreed to pick us up from my house. He came into the diner as usual on Friday and declared he was picking us up and the only thing we were to bring was our walking shoes nothing else he was paying for everything.
         I fixed them both a bowl of cereal while they had their eyes glued to the driveway waiting. I went back to the mirror in the bathroom to check my reflection since I had a moment alone finally.
         My hair was in a loose fishtail braid going down my back with my sunglasses pushed on top of my head. A little mascara and some lip balm and I was ok with how I looked. I've tried a few times to fix my makeup like Megan had it but hadn't managed as well as her so I've just been keeping it basic. I had on my favorite white off the shoulder tunic top with some retro high wasted shorts with my white keds. I felt pretty something I still wasn't use to.
        By the time I made it back to the kitchen the kids were finished and jumping from their chairs as Jamie's white Chevy pulled in the drive. The kids were out the door before I could stop them. I closed and locked the door as quick as I could before hurrying to Jamie's truck to help the kids get in. By the time I made it Jamie had already got out and helped both Bree and Alex into the big truck and had them buckled in. Jamie closed the door leaving the kids inside chatting happily.
        "Good morning Beautiful. You ready for the zoo?" Jamie gave me that smirk while his eyes ran up and down my body behind his shades.
        I stepped closer to him not taking the chance of the kids hearing what I'm about to say. "I might be grateful for what you're doing for my kids, and all they will see is how happy their momma is, but know I know exactly what you did to get me here and that I'm not happy about." I had to look up into his eyes because I was so close to him but hopefully he got the point.
       I went to grab the handle for the passenger door but Jamie already had it. He lent down till his mouth was right by my ear and said, "By the end of today I promise your gonna like me woman." He gave me that damn smirk as he opened my door then quickly wrapped his hands around my hips and gave me a boost up into the truck. Jamie put my seatbelt on and slammed the door so quick I didn't have time to process what he did in the first place.
      I didn't say much the entire journey into Memphis to the zoo. Jamie and the kids talked excitedly about the zoo and all the animals that might possible see. I was happy to let them have this time. Jamie already had my mind a little dazed from my dreams the night before. The type of dreams no woman my age should be having. And smelling his cologne as he set me in his truck should not make me weak in the knees.
      The drive to the zoo wasn't so bad, the houses that lined the streets around it were amazing though. When Jamie pulled up to the front gate there was a sign above that read 'Welcome to Family Fun Day at the Memphis Zoo Sponsored by Shaw Construction Benefiting St Jude's Children Hospital' I was a little shocked. Jamie's last name was Shaw, did that mean his company was holding this party? I didn't have the guts to ask him.
       Jamie found a spot relatively close to the front to park and soon we were all out headed toward the big statues in front of the gate. Bree and Alex already said they want a picture with ever animal there. Before I was even ready Jamie swooped in and hoisted both the kids on to each of his shoulders. The kids started laughing straight away demanding Jamie take them to each animal like kings. Jamie just laughed and kept going along with whatever they told him.
       After thirty minutes and a hundred of pictures taken already we were finally able to go through the front gate. Jamie seemed to know exactly where to go and took the lead after that.
      First taking us to a huge log cabin that was the black bear and wolves exhibit. Jamie was like a little kid explaining how everything was put together and reading the animal facts to the kids in animal voices. He even let Alex ride on his shoulders where he would be tall enough to see in the enclosures. Next came the African exhibit with the lions, tigers, giraffes, and elephants. The kids were amazed by it all.
      The aquarium was after that with the reptile house next to it. I stayed as far away from that one as I could. The bird house was next to it with birds of every color imaginable flying around. There was an area of open enclosures after that housing goats, pigs, deer, and the large birds.
     Jamie saved the coolest places for last though. The panda exhibit, with its cute baby panda. Bree and I were even plotting was to kidnap it and bring the the fur baby home with us. Lastly we made it just in time for the last Arctic Animal how of the day. Alex was obsessed with the penguins, and kept shouting for "Skipper" and "Private".
      Finally we stopped for lunch around two. The kids were satisfied they had seen everything twice and wanted to play on the huge play ground before we left. Jamie told me to go ahead and grab us a table while he went to get the food, so I sent the kids off to play till he got back. My feet were screaming so I wouldn't resting them a minute.
      Today has been better than I expected. Jamie had been nothing but a gentleman to me and so patient and kind with the kids it really surprises me. Jamie's still not off the hook for how exactly he got us here in the first place, but I figure it was time I could start being a little nicer to the guy.
      Just then Jamie came back out of the door holding a tray full of food and drinks. The smile that spread across my face was genuine. He was still looking around so I waved my hand in the air and called his name. When he made it to the small table I chose in the shade he sat the food down, but was still looking around. "Where's Bree and Alex?"
      "I told them they could go play for a bit before they eat. If I make them eat right now Alex would be distracted by the playground and Bree would be pestering him on so I'm saving us a problem and giving us peace to eat." I can't help the nervous chuckle from coming out at the end. I get nervous I ramble, I ramble I do the stupid girly nervous laugh, and being alone with this man in public makes me quake. Jamie gives a quick nod in understanding the starts separating the food. The kids run by waving before running off again smiling like lunatics.
      "Thank you Jamie. You have no idea what today means to me and those two. Giving them a memory to share always. You didn't have to, you barely even know us. So Thank You."
      "There ain't no reason to thank me, I've had as much fun as both of those two. But I would like to do one more thing, that is if your game."
      "What's that?"
      "Well you just said I don't know that much about you and you know about the same from me. I for one would like to change that Marie. So how about twenty questions? I ask then you ask. If there's a question we don't want to answer just say 'not now', and we will just think of something else." I hadn't played this game since I was a teenager, but Jamie did have a point. We really did know nothing about one another and this was the safest way we could start to fix that.
      All a part of that nicer person attitude I agreed. "Ok, but your idea, you go first."
     "Ok well I know your name is Marie Long, and your kids are Bree and Alex, but I have no idea how old any of y'all are!" He made that seem like such a scandal, him not knowing. I couldn't help but laugh. "What were you thinking? I'm twenty-nine soon to hit the big three zero, Bree is ten and Alex is six. And how old are you mister? Should I be calling the cops to report a creepy old pervert?"
     "Ha. Not creepy or old and only when I think of all the things I wanna do to you. I'm only thirty-two so not that much older than you." I gave him the evil eye instead of replying to his comment. "You can't knock a guy for just speaking the truth right? Nope? Damn, ok then I'm sorry sweetheart I won't do it again."
     I meant for the 'Yea Right' to be a whisper instead Jamie heard plan as day. "Scouts honor, promise. So next question. What brought y'all to Bolton?"
    "Wrong turn late at night with a screaming kid in the backseat. Let me guess, born and raised, legend of your time. Am I right?" "A little." The big Hulk actually blushed. "I was born and raised in Bolton. My parents found their dream house when they were out on their first date. As soon as they got married my daddy brought it for her and they've lived there ever since. But I am no Legend. That honor goes to my older brother Brandon. He was always the star, I just went along for the ride."
     "Middle child? Dear god there's three just like you?"
     "No, Thank God. I don't think my mother would have survived much longer if my sister Jenna didn't come along." I loved how his face lite up just thinking about his sister. "How long did your mom have to wait?"
     "Ten years with both of us together." At least he looked a little sorry. "I feel like I should bake your mom a cake or give her a hug. I wouldn't be able to handle two of your running around my house."
     "Trust me Brandon and I were more afraid of our mother than anyone. Now my turn, and I do believe I just answered three straight so no interruptions." I opened my mouth to protest, but stopped short when I realized he was right. "If a wrong turn brought y'all to Bolton, where did y'all start off from?"
      No way was I telling him that. "A tiny town in Southern Alabama." I just gave him a shrug hoping he'd leave it at that. "Fair enough. Now here's the big one. Why did you leave? I know the story you told the sisters, hell I'm sure the whole town knows the story by now, but I wanna hear it from you."
      I knew the sisters had been telling everyone they could. I'd overheard each of them several times on the phone, but I hadn't told anyone since that night either. I took the napkin off the table and started running my fingers along the edge. A nervous habit I'd had forever.
      I don't take my eyes from the napkin when I start. "I met the kid's dad right before my eighteenth birthday. I was alone in a new town and didn't know anyone. I started hanging out with some friends I'd met and he just happened to be there that night. I was young and dumb and didn't know any better at the time. I found out I was pregnant with Bree pretty quickly after we got together. After that he started to change. Just words at first, but not long after he started using his hands. I'd kept him away from the kids for years. He wasn't going to use them like a punching bag like he did me. Until he finally crossed the line."
     The beating he gave both of them while I was locked in the bathroom screaming for him to stop flashed before my eyes. I blinked my eyes till the sight cleared away. "I got the kids and we ran the next day."
      Just telling the abridged version of my life from the past few years makes all the pain and dirty feeling rush back like it just happened. I could spend hours scrubbing my skin and the feeling would never go away.
      Jamie reached across the table and lifted my chin where I couldn't hide. "Does he know where y'all are?" I had to blow off some of the shame that filled me. I hadn't even told the kids about this yet. "Yes, Mr. Bacon sent the divorce papers a few weeks ago. I had to give our address and new number for four records. Their dad is trying to fight the visitation orders right now so it hasn't went through yet."
     "What's he want?"
      I have no clue what made me spill my guts to this man. But I didn't stop, even voicing my worst fear. "Sole custody of the kids." I could barely speak past the ball suddenly lodged in my throat.
     Jamie reached over and grabbed my hand that was still messing with the napkin and held it on top of the table. "What did you offer?"
     I had to clear my throat before I could answer. "If he won't terminate his rights at least supervised visitation." Jamie gave me a wink "Smart girl, what's the kids want?"
     I could feel my cheeks heating in embarrassment "I haven't told them any of this yet. I had planned to take them camping next weekend for the first time, and breaking the news to them then. Plus Mr. Bacon said he should know the final say sometime this week."
    Jamie seemed to perk up at that. "That is very sensible of you. So where y'all going camping?" "I have no idea...Hey! That's a lot more than three isn't it my turn now?" I can't believe he almost got me. I knew what he was trying to do.
    "Hey I need every advantage I can get when it comes to you sweetheart. And don't you worry I know the perfect spot." "For what?" What was this man on about now? "Camping. Don't worry about a thing I got it all covered. Y'all just be ready Saturday morning with hiking boots and a few change of clothes. I got everything else." And with that Jamie was gone headed off to play with the kids. And all I could think was "Do what?"
*******
      The rest of the week every afternoon when Jamie would come into the diner I would try to talk him out of coming camping, but it was like talking to a brick wall! He would just laugh me off every time, give me that wink and tell me to "Just be ready."
      Thursday morning Mr. Bacon called with the final judgements. I didn't answer him because of the morning rush and when I finally listened to his call that night after the kids were asleep I cried like a baby. Somehow Dewayne had managed to get joint custody. The judge had granted him every other weekend and half of the holidays and with the kids.
     With three weeks left in the month Dewayne wanted to come to Memphis and take the kids next weekend before having them come back with him for the entire month of July because of their summer break. I was devastated.
    The judge said since this was the first time any charges of abuse had been brought against Dewayne it didn't mean he had to give up his rights to the kids. I didn't sleep well that night at all.
    Friday I tried to act like everything was ok, but they all saw thru it. Jamie especially, but I didn't spill. Just begged him not to come tomorrow, but of course he was there bright and early that morning.
    The kids were up and ready by eight that morning with their little backpacks ready and shoes tied. I didn't say much as we drove to a state park an hour from town. Jamie kept sending me looks trying to figure out what was up or see if I would finally crack. The kids sang to the radio in the back the whole trip.
    Once we got to the camp grounds Jamie started unloading his loaded down truck. He setup a three room tent and had air mattresses for all of us. He setup games and chairs around a fire pit and brought out a cooler full of food. He even had two bike for the kids underneath all of that! I was impressed.
    The kids rode of on the bike as soon as Jamie brought them out to check out the other families that were camping out. Jamie told me to have a set while he started to cook some hamburgers and hotdogs for everyone.
    It was peaceful out here. Not great for someone trying to not think about anything. It was weighing me down with what the kids were gonna say once I told them they would see their father next weekend.
    Jamie came and sat beside me once he had the food going. He grabbed my hand and laced his fingers through mine. "You gonna tell me what's been on your mind since Thursday? I figure it's gotta be what the lawyer said, and by the look of absolute terror that's been in yours eyes since, I'm guessing it's not good. So tell me."
    I looked at him and just sat in the moment. He really was gorgeous and that carefree smile he always wore was something I was truly jealous of, but I'd be damn if I told him that. "The judge gave him joint custody."
    Jamie was truly shocked, "Excuse me?"
    "Yep, he will get the kids two weekend of the month, and half of the holidays. He set it up where he will get the kids next weekend, but he's gonna stay in Memphis with them for the weekend. Then he wants them for the entire month of July for their summer break. The judge agreed."
     Jamie blew out a breath, "Wow." I'm not sure why but I laughed. "You can say that again."
     "Ok, whenever you are ready to tell them just let me know and I'll be right there. Till then let's make this a day they won't forget." Jamie gave me a smile and I shook my head Yes in return.
      We took the kids on a small hike that led to a pond and Jamie brought along some rods where they could go fishing. We had a pick nick in a clearing by the pond once the kids had caught a fish and said they were done. We played tag for an hour with the kids. Jamie raining supreme in the end carrying the kids around like sacks of potatoes.
      We made it back before the sun started to set and Jamie made another fire were the kids could roast marshmallows. Once they were full of sugar and seated around the fire content I figured now was the best time to bring up their dad.
      I looked at Jamie catching his eye hoping he got the message. He reached over and gave my hand a squeeze. I looked at the kids and sent a silent prayer that everything would be ok.
     "Kids I got something I gotta tell you before y'all pass out from your sugar comas." Bree gave a slight chuckle but both of them gave me their attention. "It's about your dad." They both gave me a slight frown at the mention of his name.
     "He wants to spend next weekend with you guys here in Memphis. He's gonna take y'all to a hotel downtown and take y'all to some of the museum, and a baseball game. Don't that sound like fun?" I was trying to make it sound fun where they wouldn't be afraid. Alex jumped around in joy at the mention of going to a live baseball game. I knew that get him.
      Bree still didn't say anything instead she looked like she was in deep thought about something. Finally she spoke, "Is that all we gotta see him for is next weekend?"
      I had to take a breath and gather some courage to answer her. "No, he wants y'all to spend the entire month of July with him for your summer break then every two weekends of the month after that. Y'all will have to go to his house for half of the holidays as well."
     Alex had stopped jumping and listened to what I told his sister. Both of them wore looks of shock on their face. I let go of Jamie's hand and reached for both of them and brought them closer to me. "Everything is gonna be ok. I know y'all don't wanna go but I promise it won't be like it was before. Ok?"
    They both shook their heads ok. Bree gave me a kiss on my cheek and Alex gave me a hug. "I love you momma. I'll see you in the morning." Bree gave me another kiss before she headed into the tent. Alex quietly behind her.
    I tried to stop the tears from leaving my eyes. I never wanted to put that face of fear back on my children's face but I couldn't stop it this time. I turned around and gave Jamie a watery smile. Jamie reached over and laced his fingers thru my hand bringing it to his mouth and placing a kiss on the back of my hand.
    I looked at the spot his lips were just on my skin feeling the tingles on my skin. "You are one of the strongest woman I've ever met. Do you know that? You're loving and great with your kids who you would do anything for. You're beautiful in every way and you don't even know it. I like you Marie Long. Like really LIKE you, and if you'll let me, I'll be here every step of the way because you absolutely fascinate me. And try as I might I can't get you out of my head since the first day I met you in that diner."
     Jamie stood up and pulled me up with him. I needed the strength I was sure my knees were going to buckle at any time. This man was cutting thru the shields I thought I had around myself with a butter knife. His words traveling to the parts of myself that hadn't been seen in years.
    "So please sweetheart put me outta my misery and just accept it instead of making me chase after you like a dog with a bone. Though it had been fun." Jamie gave me that smirk and I found myself loving that smile. I must have been looking at his lips for too long because next thing I know they were on mine.
    His facial hair tickled my cheeks as his lips started to love against mine. The surprise wore off quickly and I started to move my lips against his. I brought my hand up to his hair and rand my finger thru it pulling him closer to me.
    Jamie made a slight growl in the back of his throat and grabbed my hips pulling me as against him as I would go. I gasp at the sudden move and he took the opportunity to slide his tongue across my bottom lip.
    I don't know how long we sat there under the stars kissing. The world could have been ending and I wouldn't have noticed. All I felt was Jamie's heart beating against my chest and the tingling feeling going all the way to my toes from just this man's mouth. Finally Jamie pulled back trying to catch his breath.
    "I'm gonna let you think about that sweetheart, and I'll see you in the morning." He gave me a kiss on the forehead then headed into the tent. I slumped back in my chair and watched the flames dance in the fire. Just like the flames that man just set in my body. What the hell am I gonna do?

***************************************

Making memories with the kids!!
Things are about to start getting fun! Drop me a line with the first thought you had when you finished the chapter.
Eagerly waiting,
Callie

© 2018 Copyright by Callie Sumner. All rights reserved.