Chapter 17 Boo-Boo, My Sister

Chapter 17 Boo-Boo. My Sister (Marie's POV)

          "What are you doing here?"
      How in the world my best friend found me in the middle of nowhere scares me just a bit. Shay really should have been a detective or something. In another life she probably was.
      "Don't play. I'm late to this long overdue party cuz you left me without a word or call back Sunday night. You said you would call me as soon as you left the police station, but did you? No. Text maybe? Instead I read about it on an Amber Alert from my phone the next night! And still NO call or text! So I figure the only reason you would leave your sister, the godmother of your children, and original member of the 'Cut Dewayne's balls off and feed'em back to his sorry ass club, is because the cops already got him and y'all were on the way home."
     I can't stop staring. I can't believe she's actually here! She can't be here! Shay will kick my ass if she finds out I'm waiting on Dewayne to come claim his prize. He's finally won.
    I see the moment it starts to click in her mind that this is something worse. "Now Boo, tell me they know where he has he kids and your just hole up here waiting on the police to call you."
    I can't look her in the eyes now. This is the only person who knows me inside and out. We maybe polar opposites. Me a more than average white girl, and Shay a five foot nothing black girl. But she's my sister in every possible way that matters.
     We meet at a local community college two years after Dewayne and I married. As soon as we meet I felt something shift into its right place for the first time in my life. My first real family member.
     We were always together while we were at school, but I would always make excuses when she would ask me to hangout afterwards. Dewayne made it perfectly clear I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone and I had to be home as soon as my last class was done each day.
     I made the mistake of walking in ten minutes late one afternoon because the professor wanted to talk to me after class. I tried to explain that to Dewayne. I even gave him a note from the professor detailing what he wanted to talk with me about. I begged my professor to write it claiming I had very religious parents that didn't like me out past my curfew.
     Dewayne didn't care. At least he took me to the hospital when he was finished with me that time. His way of saying sorry.
     I hadn't told Shay what Dewayne did to me. She knew I was married, and I preferred not to talk about him.
     One afternoon Shay invited me to her stepdaughter's birthday party and asked me to bring Bree. I told her I would. Bree only had me then. She didn't get to socialize with other kids her age, and I tried the best I really could, but she needed more at that age. There are thing kids think parents just can't understand.
     It was one of the o my times I ever lied to Dewayne. I was sure we wouldn't get caught. Dewayne had been called into work for extra overtime. The party was only supposed to last for two hours, what could really go wrong?
     Bree and I were having the best time of a four year olds life dancing to music when I felt the big hands I knew all too well wrap around my throat and start to squeeze. Everyone just stopped and stared.
    Here's this Good Ole Southern Boy chocking the shit out of the only woman at the birthday party of a five year old little black girl in the middle of backwoods Alabama. No one moved, they had no clue how to deal with Dewayne dragging me out of there by my throat.
    He screamed the vilest things he could think of at me as he went. Bree started running after us screaming for her daddy to let momma go. Raindrop size tears were pouring down her face.
     I tried to keep up with Dewayne's long stride, but it didn't matter. Black spots started swimming around my vision. It was the first time I truest thought I might die.
     I caught Bree's eyes and tried to show her how much I loved her with my eyes instead of the terror I was feeling. Right before we reached Dewayne car I could breathe again.
     Shay came out of nowhere. Jumping on Dewayne's back and reaching around to sink her claws into his eyes.
     I grabbed Bree and moved her to the back of the car away from the fight. My Boo-Boo started sending punches to Dewayne's head. Shay was hanging on like gum under your shoe. Dewayne couldn't shake her off.
     Brian, Shays fiancé, came up behind her hooking his arms around her waist, and started to try and drag her away. Dewayne turned around quick to hit her, or show her place as he liked to call it. I was already moving toward them knowing what Dewayne was about to do even before him.
     Before Dewayne could raise his hand midway Brian pulled a gun from the holster from the back of his pant and pointed it straight at his head.
     "I don't know who the hell you think you are coming to my daughters party and almost killing her mom's friend, but I be damn if I'm gone let yo ass lay one finger on my girl, got that white boy?" The normally laid back Brian all but growled at Dewayne.
      You could see the steam rolling from Dewayne's ears as he gave a nod in answer. I hurried to put Bree in her seat in the backseat of my car. If we made it home before Dewayne I could hide her somewhere safe were he couldn't take this out on her.
     One week later when my face looked less purple, sporting a turtle neck and scarf in the middle of April with a dry erase board in my hand I was using to communicate I set out on a mission. I skipped my first class and tracked down Shay.
    Several hand cramps and a promise of emergency bail money on the future date I got the first thing Dewayne couldn't take away from me.
    A sister.

***************************************

Well spill it butter bean. Did you like Shay? Did some parts of the fight make you laugh?
Because I won't lie to Shay, at all, when she actually climbed this guy like a tree right in front of me

© 2018 Copyright by Callie Sumner. All rights reserved.