Chapter 23 FreeState Jail, Best In The South (Jamies POV)

Chapter 23 Freestate Jail, Best in the South. Ha! (Jamie's POV)

Stay overnight in a jail cell. That was definitely getting crossed off my bucket list with no repeat performance. 2 days in a small 5x5 cell would drive any man crazy. Luckily the Judge let me off with a warning. I just had to pay a small fine and I was free to leave.
FreeState finest were very much on the slow side when it came to getting things done though. They sat me down on this bench in front of the exit door and said they would be back in a minute with the key. Two hours later I'm still sitting here. They couldn't hurry quick enough.
The officer and two guards love to talk when they group up at the end of the hall you can hear them perfectly. In the two days I'd been here I'd heard exactly what Brandon had been telling me, and so much more.
Benton had been holding court down the hall for two days. The man was a psycho. If I didn't leave soon I was going to deck the good officer in the face. The only thing that kept me calm was Marie.
I could feel her just on the other side of the door waiting just like me. I needed to give her a hug and tell her how sorry I was for being stuck in here when she needed me more. As soon as I was on the other side of that door I'd planned on ordering the biggest bouquet of roses and have them sent to her motel. Then I'm gonna get on my knees and beg Marie to forgive me.
I might be a big boy but I ain't too proud to beg the woman I love to forgive me for fucking up.
I started making a list of all the ways I could make it up to Marie in my head. By the time I made it to 34 the door the guard went in earlier pooped open. A male guard walked up to my slumped frame. "Up." I jumped at the man's orders and shoved my hands out to him hoping he was here to finally take the cuffs off.
Both cuffs were gone in a matter of seconds I checked my wrist to see if there were any marks left behind. Satisfied I looked at the guard waiting on him to say something. One very awkward starring contest later I couldn't take it. "So..."
"You gone leave or stay a little longer? It's up to you."
I was across the hall gripping the handle before he finished. I didn't trust this guy to be telling me the truth so I watched him like a hawk as I opened the door then stepped out front. When he didn't move toward his weapon I moved quickly to put the closed door back between us.
I looked at the small row of chairs against the wall thinking I would see Marie. I could have sworn she was here. A squeak came from my left and I looked. There was my angel looking at some flyers on the bulletin board.
I walked up behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist. Before my lips reached my favorite spot on her neck Marie flinched and moved out of my arms. She spun around to face me with a petrified expression on her face.
"Sweetheart it's just me Jamie. You ok love?" I raised my hands palms out and flat in her line of sight were she would know I meant no harm. She blinked her big brown eyes clearing away whatever had her freaked. "Jamie?"
"Yea sweetheart it's me. You ok?" Marie shook her head no and walked straight into my arms. "I'm sorry love I broke my promise. I wasn't there when you needed me. I swear it won't happen again and I have all sorts of ways I wanna show you how sorry I am."
She didn't laugh like I was hoping for. She was shaking all over. "Jamie." I almost didn't hear my name whispered from her lips. "Yes love."
"Please get me out of here." Fear, true fear was coming off her in waves. We were in the truck 30 seconds later. By the time I pulled into the parking lot of the motel Marie had quit shaking. She didn't say anything to me the entire trip from the police station.
The wheels of my brain were spinning. She'd spill when she was ready. I made sure Marie went into the motel room first then I locked the door. I went and sat on the bed finally taking my shoes off for the first time in two days.
Marie's standing in front of TV were she stopped when I pushed her in the room. "Didn't you tell me your brother is on the case and is helping search for the kids, and he's the one who helped you find me?"
"Yea baby Brandon is helping, why?"
"Can you call him? I need to talk to him. Now."
Now red flags are coming up left and right. Something must have happen while I was locked up. "Baby did someone hurt you or say something to you while I was locked up in jail?"
Since we walked in that got Marie's attention. She gave me a quick shake of her head. "No. Nothing like that baby."
"Ok, but will you tell me what it's about before I call him? Maybe I can help." I gave her my best puppy dog eyes hoping it would help her crack.
"Ok, but promise to hear me out all the way before you go labeling me certifiable finally ok?"
"I love you." That was the best comeback and by the smile stretching across her face she liked it too.
"I think someone at the police station took the kids off the missing persons list, and now no one's looking for them."

***************************************

I didn't think Barney and Ole Andy were ever gonna let Jamie out of jail! Hahaha
Stay tuned for more of the Marie Show.
Callie

© 2018 Copyright by Callie Sumner. All rights reserved.