Chapter 21 This Was Not What I Had Planned (Jamies POV)

Chapter 21 This Was Not What I Had Planned (Jamie's POV)

Marie and I met Shay at a little hole in the wall diner later that night. When we woke up from our midday nap Marie wanted to take a shower before we met up with her friend. I followed her swaying ass all the way to the bathroom and convinced her I was the only one who could do the job of washing her back while she was in there. So, it might have been my fault we were a little late to meet her.
Go figure!
There were three other customers sitting along the bar and a middle aged woman behind the counter. Marie went straight to the booth in the corner and slid in. Shay and I followed not far behind.
The waitress came over to give us menus and take our drink order before leaving us alone. Marie gave her menu a quick glance then set it down. "So when are you headed back Boo? I know the kids are driving whoever is watching them crazy by now."
Shay sat her menu on the side of the table and blew out a breath of frustration. "Tomorrow unfortunately. My boss would only give me two days off and Brian says he can't keep up with the kids anymore since his accident." Brain was involved in a hit and run accident not long after Shay and their family moved to Memphis.
Brian was in the hospital for more than a month with a broken hip and leg. Dewayne stole my car and hid it from me all because I asked to go see Shay. Dewayne gave it back three months later.
"That sucks Boo, but I'll see you next weekend at home so it'll be ok. And I promise to answer all your calls and texts between now and then."
"You better or I'll come back and kick yo ass!"
The girls shared a laugh before Shay started looking at me. "So what's your intentions with my girl Mr. Shaw?"
"SHAY!" Marie's cheeks were flaming red.
"What? Y'all been in your own little love bubble the last five hours so I didn't get to ask him when he showed up. I have a right to know were what's happing now will never happen again."
I grabbed Marie's hand that was in her lap and gave it a squeeze. "It's ok sweetheart. If she wants to know I'll tell her. Thank god you picked the inside seat so you can't run away either."
I winked at Marie then turned to Shay with a serious expression. "Marie is mine just as much as I am hers. I'm not going anywhere. I will be wherever in the world this beautiful woman beside me chooses to be. I asked her earlier to think about moving in with me when we get back to Tennessee. After she says yes to that I will drop down on one knee and beg her to marry me. Every day if I have to till she says yes. Because she's my other half, the better half obviously, but I'm never letting her go."
Marie gave our entwined hands a squeeze but I didn't look at her while I was laying everything out to Shay. Shay crosses her arms in front of her chest and gave me a look that she thought I was trying to feed her some bullshit. "Marie is like my sister I know her better than anyone else. What makes you think she's your other half?"
This answer might be a little harder to explain. I gave myself a minute to fatter my thoughts then took a deep breath and spilled everything. "Because she makes me feel whole. For a long time I've just been going thru the motions of life. Just working, hanging out with friends, and being with my family. There was always this piece missing though I didn't think about it or talk to my folks about the way I was feeling. Instead I worked it out of my mind. But one Monday in the middle of May I was having a bad day. That missing feeling had come back and I couldn't figure out why. I stopped at this little diner in town. I was looking at the menu when the voice of an angel started speaking to me. When I looked up I was staring at the most beautiful creature I'd ever seen. Chocolate colored wavy long hair. Curves in all the right places and a killer smile. I couldn't stop following her with my eyes. The problem, the more I looked the more I realized, that beautiful creature was also hiding a heavy sadness. I didn't leave and go to work like I was supposed to instead I sat there all afternoon just trying to get her to look at me again."
"I left that diner that afternoon with a smile on my face and a spring in my step. The next day as soon as I woke up I started counting down the time till I could go back to that diner and talk to the dark haired beauty. That afternoon she finally told me her name was Marie. When I repeated it the longing feeling in my heart was instantly replaced with a wholeness. Like two magnets finally coming together after being miles apart. I made a promise to myself that I would make her mine. Show her she was made for me just like I feel she is."
"When I found out there were two mini Marie's in the world I couldn't believe it. Only because I didn't think God would send so many angels down to earth at one time. They are my missing piece. My family, and I'm gonna show them that every day."
Shays mouth was dropped open so far she was about to catch a fly. I turned my head toward Marie to see how she handled my confession. The last thing I wanted her to do was go running for the doors. Tears were running down her cheeks, but the megawatt smile let me know these were happy tears. She wasn't pulling a runner yet.
"Well then....I wholeheartedly approve!" Shay was bouncing in her seat with joy.
I was just about to tell her thank you when someone interrupted me from behind. "Well doesn't this look cozy? Husband finally left so you can parade your boy toy around town now. Is that what this is? Thank God he took your kids where they didn't have to see their momma being the town whore!"
Who the hell does she thinks she is talking to Marie like that!
The woman standing at the end of our table was vile walking around in an air of hate. Spit had landed on her round face from her rant. She couldn't have been any more than 5ft tall, but she was just as big sideways too.
I turned back to Marie seeing if she knew the woman. The smile that was on her face mere seconds before was replaced with a look of utter horror and despair. Her tears were coming even faster than she was breathing. Whoever she was needed to leave now before she gave Marie a panic attack.
"Mutherfucker! That's it! Didn't I tell yo ass I was gonna beat the shit outta you the next time I saw you Amber! Then you come saying stupid shit that ain't none of yo business in the first place!"
I had my arms around Marie trying to hide her from this Amber chick before I could safely get her out of here. Shay had murder in her eyes.
"Lil Nigglet I ain't afraid of you! Lay one finger on me and I'll have you thrown in jail so fast. Don't forget who my husband is." The two woman were sizing each other up to kill. Amber gave Shay a shit eating grin and waved her fingers in a 'bring it' motion.
Shay jumped at Amber's throat. I was out of my seat in a blink. I picked the Amber woman up and swung her around where Shay couldn't touch her. For Shay to be so small her little fist could pack a punch. Shay tried to swing around me for Amber but I would move her at the last second. I guess Amber didn't like how I was taking the blows for her.
Amber started clawing at the arm I wrapped around her chest. She was screaming like an axe murder was behind her.
She's gonna bust my damn eardrums with that noise!
I feel Marie finally get Shay off my back and under control. One down one to go. I go to release my hold on the woman in front of me when she grabs my arm and bites down, hard. I push her in the back with my free hand hoping to throw her off balance and let my arm go.
Amber took part of my skin when she went stumbling into the tables in front of her. I turned behind me to check on Marie and Shay. They both had looks of horror on their faces. C'mon ladies, I didn't push her that hard, and she took a chunk of me with her!
As soon as I opened my mouth to ask them if they were all right all the breath was knocked from my body. I'd been awhile since I'd been tackled flat out. It's not a feeling you easily forget. Whoever took me down had my hands behind my back and in cuffs before the light stopped dancing in my eyes.
"You must be the one enjoying Dewayne's sloppy seconds. I better their still good though. I'm Officer Denton, and the woman you just assaulted is my wife Amber Denton. And you Mister are under arrest."

***************************************

I joke around all the time with my mom about my stepdads nephew. How that man should not be aloud to reproduce and spread his idiot gene around...some people in this book are the same way haha.
Anyone else feel that way or is it just me? I know I should apologize....but I won't! Ha!
Till then Y'all!
Callie

© 2018 Copyright by Callie Sumner. All rights reserved.