Chapter 18 The Only One Who Really Knows Me (Maries POV)

Chapter 18 The Only One Who Knows Me (Marie's POV)

"Ok Boo, last chance. Tell me they bringing the kids and that's the only reason you here. Otherwise, imma need my bail money for a different person, you!"
I can't help it. My bottom lip starts shaking from me trying to keep the tears out of my eyes. Shay doesn't say another word. She came inside, slammed the door, and gave me the tightest bear hug I'd ever received.
My tears that have been my constant companion the last few days start to fall again. When my sobs finally calm down she grabs my cheeks making me look her in the eyes.
"Ok Boo, we gonna sit, and you gonna tell me everything, got it? Not one thing left out. The cops can't find his sorry ass I bet I can!" Shay's confidence in that statement was evident.
"Speaking of which, how'd you find me! I didn't tell anyone I was here except Denton I was staying here."
"You first. Then I'll tell ya mine." Shay teasing me let me know she wasn't as mad at me as she wanted me to believe. Now I just needed to fess up and she'd be ok.
A few hours later Shay was all caught up. My tears stayed away long enough to let me finish the entire tale. If Dewayne was here now Shay would be biting a body. The fire in her eyes could burn him to ash where he stood.
"Now can you go back and tell me who this Denton dude is? Cuz he's number two on the list to get his ass whooped for the way he's treating you."
"Nope. I need you to much right now boo for you to be going to jail."
"Your still not gonna call Jamie?"
The catch in my breath at the mention of his name took me by surprise. I started concentrating on the floor hoping it would open and swallow me whole. Maybe then the tears would stop coming all the time.
"I can't." I know Shay heard my whispered confession. The confusing on her face gave it away. "I know I messed thing up between us. He's the best thing to happen to me in a very long time, and I just dropped off the face of the earth. Not even acknowledging his concern. He's done everything he could to show me I could trust him. Lean on him for anything I need. My heart and body love the idea, but my brain won't let me. It keeps going thru all the things Dewayne put me through and wondering if Jamie will do the same once I let him in."
"But what do you really feel Jamie would be doing if he were here right now? Don't let that sponge in your head determine what your heart already knows. It knows Jamie ain't like Dewayne, and you need him right now. Don't you?"
"I love him, Boo." That was the first time I'd said that out loud. The longing in my heart I've been trying to ignore increased tenfold. My brain finally got the message. "God what am I doing! Give me my phone!"
Shay was smiling as she tossed me my phone from the bed. "Now you making some sense."
I started looking through my contacts for Jamie's number. Right as I hit send there was a knock at my door. Shay raised her eyebrow silently asking if I was expecting anyone. I shook my head no and Shay got up from the bed and went to the door.
I heard the first ring from my phone right as Shay opened the motel room door. I couldn't see who she was talking to because of the way the door opened up toward the bed.
Shay turned to me and started grinning like the Cheshire Cat as the second ring came thru my phone. Ed Sharron's 'Thinking Out Loud' started playing on the other side of the door, and my jaw hit the floor.
"I guess this is Prince Charming outside the door?" The 'I Told You So' was sting to bust out of Shay's lips.
Unfortunately for me, there was absolutely nothing I could have done to stop those damn tears from falling then.

*************************************
How do y'all like Shay? We all need a friend to give us a swift kick in the ass something to make us do right and that girl gives it to me every time!
Let me know what y'all think in the comments!

© 2018 Copyright by Callie Sumner. All rights reserved.