Chapter 1-Encore

Word Count: 1846

Dawn Turner

It was one Sunday morning. The sun was smiling, the birds were chirping, and the appliance store was being robbed.

I directly got to that point, didn't I?

Let's take several steps backwards and try to make sense of todays' story. I go by Dawn Turner. Some people say I'm incredibly cursed, others say I'm just so dumb that I cause most of the unpleasant accidents that happen to me. It all really comes down to how colorful your vocabulary is.

I woke up one Sunday morning, horribly thinking, I want some scrambled eggs. You might ask, what's so horrible about scrambled eggs? The answer is: nothing.

What's wrong is the girl that is scrambling those eggs.

Clumsiness is a thing that consumes a person naturally. The thing about clumsiness, however, it has an off switch. If you try really hard, you can put in mind that you are about to do something very important and expect your clumsiness to be reduced.

In some cases, it works. In my case? It consumes me to the point where I don't even remember what being cool, calm, and collected actually feels like.

Back to the point, I was scrambling the eggs when my phone started ringing. Like the intellect that I am, I left everything I was doing and ran to pick up my phone. To be fair, I was expecting a call about a possible work offer. And yes, that justifies the fact that I left eggs on a very much turned on stove and never looked back.

When I picked up the phone, I found out that it was actually my mother calling me to check in, as I had recently moved into my own apartment, ready to be an independent and free woman.

Little did I know that independent and free in my dictionary means talking on a phone with scrambled eggs burning my cute precious pan and everything around it in the background.

Let's just say, I have never screamed so loud.

So that leads us to where I currently am, an appliance store; looking for a pan that can replace my previous one.

I was actually amazed at how hard it was to find a pan that I would be happy with but after searching for a while, I finally found what I was looking for and started heading towards the exit with my brand new pan in hand.

I was so distracted by how cool the pan looked that I didn't even notice three men, dressed in all black and wearing ski masks, emerging through the door and pointing their guns at everyone in sight.

"Get down on your knees!" One of them yelled, bringing my attention to the men in black.

Shit.

Panic soared through me and instead of kneeling down like everyone else in the store did; I ran and hid behind the counter, hoping no one would see me. My hands were sweating, as they normally do when I'm stressed.

It was a challenge to not break down and cry but fortunately, I managed to stay calm and quiet.

I slowly peeked at the scene from behind the counter and watched as another man pointed his gun towards the cashier. "You have one minute to give me all the money in the register or I will shoot you and get them myself!" He yelled in the cashiers' face, making him visibly shake with fear.

"W-would you be interested in a coupon, Sir?" The cashier asked him, nervously. I rolled my eyes.

The man hit the cashier across the head with his gun in hurry. "We have no time for this." He turned around the counter, luckily not noticing me, and started placing a ton of money inside the giant duffel bag he was carrying with him when he came in.