Chapter 9-Little One

Word Count : 2034

Dawn Turner

"You want what?" The cashier stood in front of me with a bored face.

"I want 10 crucifixes, 5 bottles of holy water, and a bible; thanks." I gave her a tight smile and fought the urge to run back home and yell into my pillow.

"Cal! Come here man. We got a lady wanting to perform an exorcism." She turned around and continued calling out to Cal.

"What? No. No exorcisms here!" I shook my head at her frantically. "Look, is it so wrong that a girl at my age wants to live a holy life blessed by her savior?" I shot her a glare. Is anyone even listening to me right now?

She returned my glare, huffing in annoyance. "Look lady, this is an appliance store. Do you really think we have crucifixes and bibles and holy water lying around for no reason?" Her face displayed a look of frustration and I could tell she wanted me gone.

Well how should I know that? Do I look like I pray to God often?

"There is a reason!"

"Let me hear it then." she crossed her arms over her chest.

There's a fallen angel literally roaming the earth right now and making people's life a living hell, including mine, and you might be next, lady!

Is what I wanted to say.

"Ghosts are a thing, you know! There are a lot of videos proving their existence nowadays." Is what I said instead. She looked unconvinced so I continued. "I can recommend you some..." She walked away before I could continue. "What unholy creatures you people are!" I yelled and walked out of the store.

Listen, I don't mean to be that girl that takes out her anger at other people but I woke up this morning and found out that I got my period. Out of all the days of the month, it had to be the day after I was done dealing with the fallen angel and guardian angel brother war.

Excuse me if I'm being a little dramatic over here.

I have been searching for crucifixes and holy water in all the wrong places and I don't have enough energy in me to care. I think I'm actually doing this on purpose to keep moving around from place to place because maybe then Alexander would get too tired to chase me around. I know I'd be tired if I was him.

Although to be fair, he has wings and can probably fly around.

Come to think of it, I've never actually seen him fly. Do his wings not work? Is he somehow afraid of heights?

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. If I don't think about him, he's not real. That's how things work, right?

After that dramatic exit of mine, I'll probably be too embarrassed to set foot in that appliance store ever again.

The weather was cold and cloudy today and the parking lot was empty of both people and cars so my steps echoed loudly around me along with the sound of the wind. The fact that this looks like a scene straight out of a horror movie was starting to make me feel anxious but I tried not to overthink it.

I kept looking around me to make sure no one was following and no one was.

Thud.

I heard the sound of loud footsteps near me and saw someone move in the corner of my eyes, making me halt in place. I could've sworn the parking lot was empty just a minute ago.

I turned around to look in the direction of the sound, praying it would just be a kid walking by, but there was no one in sight. It scared me even more because I was so sure I heard footsteps.