Chapter 18-Call Me Monster

Dawn Turner

Day by day, I found myself getting even more attached to Zach.

He might be very dramatic and immature but I learned to love that about him. I think I'd rather have him as my guardian angel than someone else who's probably way more boring.

I'll never tell him that though, he'd never let me hear the end of it.

Zach and I have been hanging out pretty much every day. He comes over to my house, we watch a new Disney movie, and then he opens up random conversations and gives me the confidence to face a certain someone.

If I'm being honest, I feel like there's absolutely no way for us to defeat Alexander. I'm not sure the two of us would be enough to handle him at all. I think Zach is aware of that too but still he comes over every day and gives me hope that we can defeat him one day and I appreciate it a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still terrified of Alexander but at least now I know more tricks that I could use to distract him and get away.

Temporarily.

For how long do I have to keep running though? I find myself thinking about this often. The truth is, I had no idea.

All I know is that I have to get rid of that monster one way or another. This might be stupid of me but I sometimes think what if he eventually gets bored of chasing after me and finally gives up?

There's a very low chance of that happening but I'm still hopeful. He's been chasing after me for like a month now and if I was him, I'd be way too lazy to keep continuously chasing after someone by now. I'd just admit defeat and move on with my life.

Unfortunately Alexander is probably not someone who lets go of grudges that easily.

Besides worrying about Alexander, I've been also working at Funzel more often. I think my coworkers and boss actually like me now. I was also able to memorize a lot of things about artworks that I was struggling to memorize before.

The only issue is that when I first started working here, art was really starting to grow on me but after working here for over a week, I've been liking it less.

I don't know how to explain it but it's kind of like studying an instrument you love playing and then growing out of it and here's why.

Let's say you love playing a certain instrument. You practice playing this instrument every single day just for fun and you fall in love with it more. Then one day you decide to take actual lessons and it suddenly stops feeling like a hobby and more like a chore. You can no longer practice the instrument when you feel like it, you have to practice it when you're told to. You can't play the music you like, you have to play the music you're told to play. Eventually your interest in this instrument just slowly starts fading away and I feel like this is the case with art and my job.

It was interesting at first but now it's just something that I have to constantly study and perfect and it's getting boring.

Maybe I just need something to spice it up.

I spent the whole day explaining different art works to visitors and I was more than ready finish my shift and head back home to hang out with Zach again.

My shift was almost done and the gallery was almost empty by now. It was just me, my boss, and a few other employees.

My boss' husband passed away last week and she's been working overtime since then. Sometimes I stay at the gallery for longer hours to make sure she's doing fine but I was too tired today.