Chapter 1

A smile appeared on my face at the family warmth of my parents' home.

Warmth that was never brought by my mother. But more by Christine who practically raised me. My mother could only see her as an employee but she was more to my father and myself. She always single-handedly prepared and organized all family event and dinners all on her own.

My eyes landed on the man that always brought a smile on my face. A man who never hesitated before putting me before anything and anyone.

The man for who I'm letting myself being tormented and humiliated for every day.

But just seeing him healthy makes it all worth it.

"How are you?" I smiled lightly taking a seat in front of my father. I took his hand in mine.

His eyes moved and he just looked at me warmly not moving.

His eyes were always expressing. He hasn't been able to move in years, so his only way of expression was through his eyes.

I looked at him and then at his hand in mine holding back my tears. "You look good."

I won't let them come out. I won't let my father see me sad or in distress.

Not when he is like this. I believe that every hardship and every pain is just a step to the peace and happiness we all seek for. Every bad luck and every tear should be seen as a step closer to greatness.

And that's why I am patient.

Patience is the key. My father always said.

He didn't really attach himself to material things. So how would he feel about my marriage. A marriage my mother pushed me into because the man could bring my father's company and work back to the stability it used to have before the accident.

My father had a car accident ten years ago, which ended up paralyzing him. He doesn't move. He doesn't talk. He just stays there looking around. He notices everything but can't react.

We're sure that some tried to kill him. But the truck that hit his was abandoned by the driver. The police investigated for a few months, but then just closed the case, not having enough proof about it being an accident.

Some things just don't add up. That car came out of nowhere and my father was always careful and a slow driver. He never liked testing limits on the road.

My mother says the doctors are still trying everything they can without any result and it's fair to say that I don't believe a word she's saying. She doesn't spend time with him. She would rather have other people taking care of her husband while she goes out, spending what's left of his money.

Christine every hour of the day by my father's side, making sure that he's okay. She the only one that can tell me something about his condition that I would believe.

I'm twenty-three and my mother forced me to stop my studies on my last year in university, because she didn't find it useful.

What she thought useful was to push me into a with a man that I didn't trust at all. She has been pressuring me and I wish I knew she wanted me to marry this man.

For his money. That wouldn't surprise me.

"Marriage is an investment." She kept repeating, and after all these years, I'm surprised that I still find ways not to believe her.

I know I shouldn't think bad because she is my mother, but there is still that small part in my head warning me from her. I want to believe that she is not the person I think she is, but the way she is so attached to this luxury life and the lack of attention to my father and myself saddens me.