Chapter 14

Thank you for your patience. Enjoy!

¥¥¥¥

"Kaden told me that you were developing an adulterous relationship with his boss." My mom suddenly said almost making me drop the spoon in my hand. "Is it true?"

What?

I looked up at her with furrowed eyebrows and she stared right back at me, not saying a word. I didn't answer and placed the spoon on my hand back on the table and focused my gaze on the cup of tea in front of me.

"Don't look at me like." She shrugged. "And answer my question."

"That's not true." I shook my head quickly. "You know it's not."

"Maya, I don't know anything anymore." She sighed moving the cup of tea to her mouth and took a sip. "You've changed. I didn't' know what to tell him."

"I haven't changed. And I'm not like that." I said trying my best to hide my frustration.

Why would she even question something like that? What does she know about anything?

"What's his boss' name?" She asked again placing her tea back on the table.

"Nickolas Orsini." I said lowly not wanting to answer but also hoping that she would hear my answer and not ask me again.

"That's a nice name." She said and I raised an eyebrow at her in question. "I'm glad you're finally getting involved with the right people." She said and the tone of her voice made me furrow my eyebrows at her even more.

"I'm not cheating on Kaden." I said speaking louder than the last time looking directly into her eyes. "How can you even think that?"

He is the one that has been in a relationship with my childhood friend for two years.

Before we even met him.

"I believe you, dear." She nodded taking a sip of her tea. "But he's your friend though, isn't he?" she asked raising an eyebrow at me.

My friend?

I never really thought of that. He helps me a lot, both physically and mentally. He is helping my father into getting better. We talk to each other as friends. He trusted me enough to tell me about his job and the people he was involved with. He introduced me to Frieda.

He's done more for since I've known him than my own mother has done my whole life.

So, he must at least consider me a friend, right?

Even if he is expecting something in return for everything he did for me, I'll still be grateful for what he did.

"What is he like?" My mother's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"He is nice." I answered shifting a little on my chair, not liking her questioning.

Why does she care?

"He must be a better man than Kaden if you like his company so much." She said looking at me with a knowing look. "He is also obviously more prosperous."

I shook my head at her. "Mom, it's not like that."

"I wouldn't mind if you really got to know him." She said placing her hand on mine. "I would be happy to see you finally knowing what you deserve."

"Mom, plea-" I started but she cut me off.

"I always bought you the most expensive clothes and jewelries, always made sure you were perfect. I always made sure you understood that you need to always keep reaching higher." She said giving my hand a small squeeze.