ONE.

CHAPTER ONE.
"GUCCI TENNIS SHOES"
In My Head - Ariana Grande

Ariana woke up in a sweat.

Some of her chocolate brown hair stuck to her forehead messily as the rest stood up in different places. Her body was sticky and damp, her skull pounding as she squinted to avoid the sunlight shining in through her window.

Pushing herself up, the girl leaned back against the wall, running a hand through her hair to somehow tame it, though that did absolutely nothing to fix the messy bed head. She slid her phone out from underneath her pillow and grimaced as she read the time. 5:47 am.

This wasn't new for Ariana. Six out of seven days a week, the girl woke up extra early.

She rolled over, stuffing her face in the feathered pillow as she groaned. The senior's first class of the day didn't start until 8:30, and she knew she wouldn't be able to fall back asleep.

After a few more minutes of pondering and self-loathing, the sixteen year old removed her white sheets from sticking to her legs and climbed out of bed. The first thing Ariana did was strip from her pajama shorts and tank. Though she wore almost the minimum to bed, she still woke up sweaty and over heated.

"Fuck," Ariana cursed as she rammed her pinky toe into the foot of her white dresser. Falling back on her bed, the girl clenched her foot and grimaced, trying to fight the urge to swear out a chorus of cuss words at this early hour with everyone else asleep in the house.

Ten minutes later and Ariana was dressed quite horribly. She had on a pair of red basketball shorts and a grey hoodie, grabbing her running shoes. Lazily, the girl slumped downstairs, quietly as she tried not to wake the rest of the house, and grabbed a banana on the way out of her home.

This was Ariana's routine.

She plugged in her earbuds, pressing play on her playlist and began jogging down the street. As Glitter by Tyler, The Creator began blasting in her ears, Ariana picked up the pace and ran down her street.

It was a nice routine to have, she'd thought. It was relaxing to watch the sunrise just behind all the suburban houses on her street. The pinkish-yellow colours contrasting against the green of the trees and white of the villas surrounding her. Ariana was a sucker for art. Sure, she sucked at painting and the only art-related thing she was good at was drawing stick figures, but sunrises and sunsets were one of the girl's favourite things about the world. The list, of what was nice about life, was decreasing at a rapid speed, so she tried to hold onto the little things. Like morning runs, for example.

Ariana stopped as she got to the corner of her street. She sat down on the curb and peeled the banana in her hand, taking a bite of the fruit as she checked her phone. It was now a few minutes after six. Usually her runs were quite short, seeing as she got tired or hungry, but today the brunette felt energized.

Pushing off the curb, Ariana quickly finished the banana and disposed of the peel in one of her neighbour's garbage cans. She decided to take a different route today, leading onto a different street.

Ariana had lived in Brooklyn all her life; she was born and raised there, so she knew it like the back of her hand. Well, almost. Of course, with New York being gigantic, there were a few nooks and crannies that she wasn't quite familiar with, but the girl had a great sense of direction. If she was to ever get lost, there's a high chance that she could get herself out without the help of google maps or directions from a stranger.

Today was not one of those days.

"Shit," Ariana cursed, stopping at a playground that she had passed by twice already. She took a look around, glancing up at the sun. It was already high above the homes around her and she groaned. Ariana never got lost, so why was today the day she did?