SEVENTEEN.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN.
"REWIND TO GET SOME PEACE OF MIND"
Closer To You - Clairo

Unfortunately, Calum actually did have some work to attend to. Two seconds after he had agreed to go for dinner with Ariana's family, his phone rang and he saw his friend slash co-worker, Sierra, calling.

"Fuck, I need to take this," he mumbled, pausing in the stairwell of Ariana's home. She frowned, glancing over his shoulder to read the display name. Before she could dive any deeper into it, Calum lifted the phone to his ear. "Hello?"

"I need you to come to my apartment," the girl said and Ariana stood up straight, her eyebrows knitting together in confusion but mostly out of jealousy. Calum turned around to meet eyes with the girl who had apparently heard, and she just scoffed and made her way downstairs. "It's urgent. Like, I have three dead bodies on my floor and I need help disposing of them urgent."

"Yeah, I'll be right over."

Calum got off the phone with Sierra and slipped his phone into his pocket, heading down the stairs to find Ariana. She was lacing up her shoes, sitting on the floor with her black chunky Filas on her feet. She looked up, rolling her eyes at the boy before looking back down. "Your girlfriend called? What did she have to say?"

"She's not my girlfriend, Ariana," Calum argued. "She's like Luke to you." Bad example. Ariana had just found out that her best friend was recruited to the same gang that they all worked for. "She's just a friend. A friend that needs my help—"

"So you cancel on your girlfriend to go do whatever she needs, right?" Ariana finished lacing up her shoes, standing up before folding her arms. "It's fine, Calum. Whatever."

"Okay, well it's obviously not fine," he observed, motioning to the girl.

"She's your friend, Calum. Whatever. I don't care." Ariana unfolded her arms, reaching over the couch to place a hand on top of her brother's head. "C'mon, Jonah." She turned back to Calum. "Now I have to go to dinner and I would prefer if you left. Now."