EIGHT.

CHAPTER EIGHT.
"STUCK IN THE MIRROR, START GETTING CLEARER"
Why Don't You Cry - Willow Smith

It was lunch when Ariana got a text from Calum. She was at her locker, putting away her History textbook, when her phone buzzed in the pocket of her sweats. She ignored it, listening to Giovanni explain her struggles of trigonometry instead.

"... I just don't understand. Like, he explained it to me before. And when he shows me it makes sense, but then on the test I just don't get it."

"You have to solve for y before you can find x," Ariana said, standing on her tiptoes to slide her textbook into the top shelf of her locker. "Because without y, you don't have the three sides, which you need for x."

"Yeah, I get that, but how do I solve for x if i I don't have any of the other angles, let alone the sides?"

Ariana's phone buzzed again, and she sighed, taking it out of her pocket. She thought it was only a text, but she saw that Calum was actually calling her. He never called her during school, and if anything he'd text beforehand.

"Um, hold on," she told Gia, showing her the display name. The girl cocked her head to the side, just as confused as Ariana was while lifting her phone to her ear. "Hello?"

"What are you doing after school?" Calum's voice was rushed and his tone was harsh, like he was being forced to say this against his will. Ariana frowned.

"Um, I was gonna go to Gia's..." She trailed off, looking at her best friend. Lowering her eyebrows, Gia mouthed 'What?' but Ariana only shrugged. "Why?"

"Okay. How long are you gonna be there for?" Calum asked, his words rushed yet again.

"Not too long. We're still going for dinner, right?" Ariana balanced her phone between her shoulder and her ear as she slipped her backpack on and closed her locker. There was silence over the line as Ariana held her phone normally again. "Hello?"

"Text me Gia's address and I'll pick you up from there."

"Um, yeah, sure. Is everything okay?" Ariana asked, concern dripping from her tone. Gia shot her a look, and Ariana only gave her another shrug of uncertainty.

"Everything is okay. Text me whenever and I'll pick you up from Gia's. You're going to her house right after school?"

"Yeah..."

"Are you going home first?"

"I wasn't planning on it. Why?" Ariana leaned against her locker, making Gia look at her with concern in her eyes. Ariana tilted the phone away from her ear, whispering to the girl, "I don't know why he's acting so weird."

"Just make sure you go straight to Gia's, okay? If you need to go home then wait until I pick you up. Is Brooks going home? Does he have practice or anything?"

"Calum," Ariana said, laughing nervously. "You're freaking me out."

"Sorry baby. I'll pick you up from Gia's, okay?"

"Okay," she said hesitantly, eyebrows furrowed. Gia rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. Ariana shot her a look.

"Have a good day, princess."

"Okay, you too. Bye." Ariana ended the call, slipping her phone back into the pocket of her sweats before being bombarded by questions.

"What the fuck was that about? Did I hear Brooks's name?"