Fires & Faces

Parker/Googz's P.O.V.

Whew! That was a close one. No way was I letting Austin find out I still have his little sister's old ring. What would he think? What would everyone else think? I know it's pretty stupid and all but you try letting go of the fact that your best friend(/secret crush) is dead for a year.

Well, assumed dead since there were no bodies at the crime scene. So there is a possible chance she could've ran away with her father, but there is no way that between getting trapped in the garage and the garage's roof collapsing inwards, they would've escaped and not be caught by the authorities.

Right?

As he calmly walked away, I turned my back to him and exhaled, letting out all the nerves inside of me at the moment. I was glad that my mini-project of Austin trying to investigate our teammates to find their fatal flaw worked. Well, he still seemed suspicious but at least he didn't ask any questions about my suspicions.

I decided to actually check the live video feed of the Matrixs' digital neighborhood. I watched as little Enzo Matrix was learning how to use the hoverboard, his father Bob right by his side. Clicking a few things, I zoomed into them to see their progress, seeing Enzo's mother Dot had the same intention.

Then, I saw another figure sitting on the side, watching little Bob. She looked like the spitting image of him, only with pigtails and in a skirt. I think they were brother and sister. Just like the Carters...

I sighed internally and sank back into my seat. Is it possible that Jane is just stuck in my memory and I can think of her in any situation? That is something I do not want to test or know.

Well, since I'm talking about her so much, I might as well tell you how we 'lost' Jane Carter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two years ago...

"Woah, everyone look! I'm snowboarding!" Austin exclaimed.

"Brother, we can't see it," Jane giggled. "You're the one wearing father's virtual reality goggles."

I turned to the brilliant engineer, who was chuckling from his work seat. "Is it possible for us to see his view, Mr. Carter?"

He smiled and stood up. He strode on over to his son and pressed a button on his goggles. The large movie screen then lit up and showed a first person perspective of someone who is snowboarding. "There you go, kids," he replied.

Jane fake pouted. "We're not kids! We're teenagers!"

"And we hold first place in the game Cyber Guardians, so we aren't ones to be considered kids," I backed up, doing a fake karate pose in my seat.

"Oh come on!" Austin laughed. "I'm the only one of us who actually looks like a teenager. You both have a reputation of being pretty short, especially you Jane."

"Austin, don't say that about your sister," his father warned.

The girl next to me threw her head back; she almost worried me as laughed in her seat, looking like she was going to fall off. "He's right, father! Have you seen me in class pictures?"

"Kids, it's time for lunch!" Ms. Carter called from outside the garage.

Austin took off the virtual-reality helmet and set it aside. "Yes, all that virtual snowboarding made me hungry!" He happily sighed, jogging out the garage doors. 

"Yeah," Jane agreed, following him. "Come on Parker."

I jumped of my seat and went after my two best friends. We went around through the back gate and across the backyard. Waiting for us on the other side of the screen door, Judy Carter, their mom, stood smiling. Her children ran up to the screen door, dragged it open, and each gave her a quick hug. I followed in right behind them to the kitchen.