He Shoots, He's Sore

Trey/D-Frag's P.O.V.

Dribble, dribble, dribble. Fake right, break left. (A/N Does anyone get that reference? BTW, I love musicals.)

I was currently in the gymnasium of Alan Turing High with the Code Breakers, my high school's basketball team. Nobody was on the bleachers, except for our coach, Coach Stevenson, and my dad.

Why is my dad here you ask? Well, he was the one who 'inspired' me to to tutor my fellow teammates for some tips and tricks on basketball. You know, developing dribbles, proper passes and some sharp shooting. Apparently, if they get better by the end of the month, I can teach them a few of my basic signature moves.

Another reason why I'm doing this instead of looking with V.E.R.A. for dark code and Megabyte on the net is because this is extra credit. Coach Stevenson could've done fine on his own, but once my dad heard about helping the Code Breakers up their game, he insisted on me being the teacher for the extra credit. Since colleges don't exactly look at the basketball segment of one of the most tech-progressive high schools here, extra-credit teaching might catch colleges' eyes.

While one of my hands dribbled the ball, I used the back of my other hand to rub my eyes. Along with this in-school/after-school tutoring, my father made me study like I'm in the honors' honors' program. Staying up late, waking up early, practicing basketball; nowadays, I'm not only hiding my Guardian secret, I'm also hiding how exhausted I am from this.

Tweet! My head perked up to my coach. That was the moment I realized my dad left the gymnasium. "Okay Code Breakers! That's enough practice for now. Remember that at 15:30, another session. You guys have about 7 minutes til third period starts."

The rest of my team ran out the gym, while I stayed behind and sat on the fifth seat of the bleachers. I took a swig of water from my bottle and rubbed a towel across my forehead from all the sweat.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how the others are holding up living their double life. Tamra has her vlog, TamraSez, and is bound to get an award soon, according to sources. Parker has his AP classes and is practically juggling them. V.E.R.A.... well, she can multi-task and can't really get stressed since she's an A.I.. And Austin, being leader and all, probably has pressure as well. Plus, the whole thing with his late sister...

I rolled my shoulder (I think that's what you say) and winced slightly. I must've pulled a muscle or something during this training session; I feel as if I was forced to lift at least 500-pound weights for the past 24-hours. Surprisingly, only my arms were sore and not my legs. Probably due to the fact that we spent all our time on dribbling the basketball-

A buzzing noise came from my blue backpack. I unzipped the front pocket and pulled out my phone, showing the Guardians symbol spinning. V.E.R.A. must've spotted some dark code or Megabyte, possibly both. Quickly, I slung my backpack over my shoulder and rushed down the bleachers. Once my feet touched the sleek gym floor, I made a sharp turn to the doors that lead to Hallway D (A/N I have no idea how high school works so bear with me) and pulled the handles open.

Only to be greeted by a familiar face; my dad.

I sighed internally. "Hey dad," I said, a little awkwardly. "Look, um, I need to head over to my friends and-"

My dad cut me off and smiled. He smiled. He never smiled at me after the divorce. "You've done a good job today," he admitted. "Of course, there were rather many flaws about your teaching techniques and strategies, but you've done well." There's the indirect insult. It wasn't my fault I wasn't a professional teacher look himself, although he teaches science, not basketball.

I scratched the back of my neck. "Um, thanks dad, but I really should get going to my friends-" I started walking around him but I was only a few inches away from the gymnasium before my dad planted himself in front of my path once again.

He raised a finger in his usual stern-teacher way. "See, this is the problem. They are holding you back."

"What? I'm not allowed to be social with my friends?" I asked offended.

"Partially. When you are hanging out with Adam, Peter and Tammy-"

I cut him off. "Austin, Parker and Tamra," I clarified through gritted teeth.

He waved me off. "Whatever," he muttered.

"The point is," he continued. "is that you're so focused on some video game that it can distract you from the reality. That Vera girl? I'm fine with her coming to our house to tutor you in school. But you've got to get your head in the game, the game of life and not that Cyber Guardians crap. You need to focus on your basketball skills and grades if you want to get into an exceptionally stupendous college with other exceptionally stupendous students."

I pretended to think about it for a while. It's hard to keep coming up with excuses to tell my dad to cover up my secret identity as a Guardian. My friends and I have developed a talent of lying ever since the first day of school last year, and it has worked so far, since all my dad cared about were my grades and other stuff related to my educational life. But with this extra-credit teaching for my basketball team, he's gonna be on my back practically forever until I go to college after about two more years. But even then, he will find a way to watch my every move.

I exhaled slowly, keeping my temper inside of me. "Look, I'm going to meet my friends," I firmly decided. "And there's nothing you can do about it." After that final spat in my dads face, I broke into a run.

And I didn't look back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't really need to look back to check if my dad was following me. I knew he wouldn't.

Quickly, I rushed through the holo-wall and entered Room 0. I tossed my backpack on one of the lounge chairs as I sped down the stairs.

"Trey, you are late by approximately-" V.E.R.A. began to comment while typing, but I cut her off.

"Yeah, yeah, I know," I grumbled, walking up to the rest of the Guardians. "It's getting more and more harder to get my dad off my back."

Austin chuckled in agreement. "Same here. If it weren't for her new boyfriend, she would've stuck on my skin for the past year." He said boyfriend rather distastefully.

From the corner of my eye, I watched both Parker and Tamra roll their eyes. Austin still couldn't seem to let go of the fact that his mom was dating again. He was highly suspicious of Mark Rowin and still wouldn't give his approval of one of his dad's co-workers to hang with Judy.

"Megabyte code and a new similar code detected floating through cyberspace," V.E.R.A. continued.

I watched Tamra visibly cringe. "Hexadecimal," she muttered under her breath. Austin gave her a longing look before turning back to his 'sister'.

"Why's he coming now?" Parker thought aloud. "After all this time, why did he just come out of his castle now?"

"Googz has an excellent inquiry that I have yet to uncover," V.E.R.A. replied.

Austin huffed. "Well, we won't find any answers just waiting outside of cyberspace," he said, rushing to his spot on the transporter. "Come on."

We quickly followed him up while V.E.R.A. continued to code. Once the four of us stood on our platforms, we were bathed in a bright white glow and disappeared from toe to head into particles. I felt the insides of my stomach churn, for I still was not use to traveling from Earth to the Codec by having myself get taken apart molecule by molecule.