Breakout!

Tamra/Enigma's P.O.V.

Finally!

After ten too many twists and turns through the castle vents – why it had vents in the first design has yet to come to me - I've arrived at my required destination. Using my bare hands to force the grate open, I placed my palms on the outer walls and pushed against them, sliding myself out of the rather small vent system.

Before me was a web of electrifying purple threads connected one sickly dark green orb to another. Any gaps were filled by a pale, translucent violet shield that pulsed with energy forming a large sphere to keep the prisoners captivity.  It surrounded the Guardian and his trembling lover within his arms entirely, trapping them in the small circle area with most what I estimate to be a 7 foot diameter. They tried to shrink themselves down, keeping themselves as far away from the barrier as possible in all directions.

My hands pushed against the floor to allow me to rise to my feet. Through my helmet, I gazed at the two as sincere as I could, hoping that they could at least sense comfort without seeing my face. "Hang on, Mr. and Mrs. Matrix," I calmly assured them, "I'll get you out of here in no time."

I slipped the bright green USB drive out of my pocket and held it between me and the shield at a reasonable distance. The flashing red button in the middle beckoned my finger to press it, which I complied to within seconds. From the end opposite of the plug, a sparky, bright blue wire shot out and flew into my hand. 

I looked back at the couple. "Step back from the barrier and stay as still as you can be," I commanded in the most polite tone possible as I stepped closer to the barrier. 

My fingers found the plug end of the wire and raised it to the patch of shield parallel to my face. The plug attached itself to the barrier, snapping tight on its own. Holding the USB drive in my hand, I took a couple of steps backwards and stretched my arm outwards. My eyes slowly fell shut as my thumb closed the distance between itself and the red button again. 

Parker was not specific when talking about what would happen once the button was pushed a second time for their escape. But that didn't matter; Little Enzo and DJ needed their parents back and we needed our Guardian friend back.

Without further hesitation, I pressed the button.

My eyes snapped open at the high-pitched beeping noise erupting from the shield. Its color glowed bright blue while the threads and orbs shined blinding white like the sun. Whatever the code was forced the shield to expand and expand to the point there were cracks littered across the surface, glowing a brighter blue. Its aura was almost impossible to look at but I refused to look away. Instead, I raised an arm in front of my forehead, protecting myself in its shadow. 

Suddenly, the shield reached its limit and exploded into shards. The sound reminded me of a mirror shattering, then its glistening shards would fall straight to the ground. This was as if dynamite was laid between the backboard and the glass of a mirror, then someone pushed down on the plunger to trigger the explosion. 

"Shoot!" I exclaimed. Within the little time, I managed to dodge out of the way of every shard that flew my way, using one of my holo-katanas to slash a couple delayed ones at the last second. 

Once the lights have dimmed to normal and the noise has resumed to silence, my arms dropped from in front of me and I slowly stood up straight. I retreated my weapons into their sheaths and my arms hung from my side as I stared at the newly-freed couple rising to their feet. Dot rushed out of her husbands arms and embraced me as a silent sign of thanks. I hugged her back, looking over her shoulder to see Bob coming closer. I pulled away, knowing our window to escape was closing in a matter of seconds.