18 | hypothesis

"An Olympic scout," I gush in amazement whilst slurping my ramyun when Hyunjin and I decided to stop at a corner store after practice

"That's amazing!"

Slurp.

I place down my chopsticks in my bowl and look at Hyunjin with all seriousness. "I need to get spotted," I tell him. "This is so cool!"

Hyunjin doesn't say a word, which is abnormal compared to his usually remark-spewing self.

The boy looks deep in thought. But despite him being so focused, he doesn't forget to every now and then eat his ramyun.

"Hyunjin," I say, trying to get his attention.

Slurp.

"Hyunjin," I repeat again, leaning in closer.

Slurp.

I bang on the table. "Hyunjin!"

The boy looks at me through the top of his eyelashes. "What?"

"Were you listening to me?" I ask him.

Hyunjin blinks once, before shrugging and continues to devour his food. "No," he says after one bite.

I reach out and flick his forehead. "Yah!"

The boy in front of me winces, covering his forehead with his hand and glares at me.

"Violent," he mumbles while rubbing his forehead.

Leaning back in my seat, I continue to eat my ramyun slowly. Hyunjin shrugs and finishes his food before sipping on his hot chocolate. Ignoring his stares, I mind my own business by looking at the scenery around me and enjoy the warm air inside the store.

"You were saying?" Hyunjin speaks up when I got quiet, "All I heard was 'Olympic', you want to compete too?"

I look at him as if he's crazy. "I want to compete?" I repeat after him, to which he nods, "heck yeah I want to compete! I am in it to win it, okay?"

"Which is why," I continue, "I need some help from you."

"Why would you need help from me?" he scoffs, "you're all set to go."

I watch him with annoyance when he pulls out his phone and starts scrolling through it without giving me a second glance.

Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with him. One time, he's so hard to get off from because of how clingy he gets. The other, it's like trying to pick out a diamond earring in Bora Bora when trying to catch his attention. 'Other' is apparently now.

"Stop staring at me," Hyunjin mutters before placing his phone on the table and looks up to me. He rests his chin on his palm and tilts his head, making me flinch back, realising that I've unknowingly stared intensely at him.