33 | i'm sorry, i love you

Awkward silences are the worst kinds of silences there could ever exist

Awkward silences are the worst kinds of silences there could ever exist. Even at it's own existence is making my head spin in the worst headache possible, and being trapped in one? I would rather die.

Especially when you're trapped into one with Hwang Hyunjin.

We both sit at the edge of the pool, side by side, shoulders almost touching with our legs kicking the water lightly. My eyes are focused on the wavy water, itching to get away from the current situation I'm in.

The silence is suffocating, it isn't helping that every once in a while Hyunjin glances at me before opening his mouth to say something but then decides against it and we're back to square one.

I don't want him to talk, I don't even want to hear his voice ever again. If I were to be honest with myself, I'm sick of him. I really am sick of him, I'm sick of his face, I'm sick of his presence in general. But despite of how much I feel that way, I still can't look away.

Because he's Hyunjin. And that's what all Hyunjins do.

There's a clap from the distance, making a small crack in our very long moment of awkward silence but not enough to break it. Our heads turn to look at the source of the sound, finding that the coach has noticed that we are not doing anything.

"I hope you guys are discussing about the rules and what Yuri needs to catch up with," his voice booms along the waters and across the pool.

"Yes, sir!" I hear both of our voices shouting back to him.

He gives us one last watchful glance before resuming on doing whatever he was doing across the room.

Both Hyunjin and I curse under our breath, making me let out a small snort.

We fall back into an uncomfortable silence. My eyes travel in the direction of the coach every once in a while to keep an eye of him for when he does look our way.

"Yuri." "Hyunjin."

And just like that, our eyes meet.

"I-uh you go first." "What did you want to say?"

My eyes dart back to the water as quickly as possible.

"Actually I'm―" "Hyunjin I―."

"You wanted to say something?" Hyunjin asks quietly, very quietly. He's never spoken that small before.

I shake my head, "no you go. Make it look like we're talking, the coach is keeping an eye on us."

I can guess Hyunjin's next moves, it's too predictable. The boy has a knack to be curious about everything, and so to satisfy his curiosity, he turns his head to look behind him.

I quickly reach out, placing my hand on his cheek and turn his head back to face me. "Don't look too obvious, just talk."

"You want me to talk?"