Chapter 3

The shock stimulated a sort of hysteric reaction in Kyree. He tried his hardest to suppress the laugh bubbling up within him, covering his mouth, even acting as though it was a cough. Nothing worked, his nerves transferring the anxiety to hilarity within him.

Ambrose didn't seem to be having the same reaction. His lips, God they brought back memories, were pursed in a straight line, his jaw clenched as he stared right past Orion to Kyree.

"Your majesty, this is my wife Yennifer, my youngest son Idella and my eldest Kyree," his father trailed off when he noticed Kyree struggling to contain himself, "something funny, Kyree?" he glowered at his son for acting so immature in front of their guest.

"I apologise profoundly," Kyree forced out between laughs, trying to compose himself, "it's nothing, I promise," Idella shared in the number of people glaring at Kyree, finally deciding his brother had gone mad.

"Excuse my brother and I," he flashed Ambrose a nervous smile and gripped Kyree's arm, dragging me back to the kitchen, "what the fuck is wrong with you?" he hissed as Kyree continued to giggle like a five-year-old.

"You don't understand-"

"No, you don't understand, Ky. You're acting like an idiot in front of the next king of hell, the man you're training to protect. How do you think this makes you look? How do you think this makes father look? Why are you-"

"Idella, that's the 'politician' I was with last night!" Kyree burst out, still chuckling despite his brother's overtly surprised expression.

"You fucked the prince of hell?" Kyree shrugged, a smirk on his lips.

"Well, he fucked me actually," Idella simply gawped at him.

"What is wrong with you? Do you realise what you've done? You have sabotaged everything you've been training toward, if anyone found out the personal connection you have-"

"Woah," Kyree held up a hand, silencing his babbling baby brother, "we don't have a 'personal connection', Idella. We screwed, a few times, one night together, that's all. I'm not suddenly in love with him or anything," Kyree had to admit he did contemplate the night with Ambrose a little more frequently earlier that day than most others. Yet, he was not in love with him, he knew that for sure.

"Screwing him is a personal connection, Ky, this could really come back to bite you in the ass," using humour as a substitute for any and all other emotions, Kyree allowed the smirk to rise back up onto his face.

"He can bite me in the ass any day, you know I-" Kyree stopped abruptly as his mother entered the kitchen, fury in her eyes, "now, mother, I can explain-"

"Kyree Landon, what is wrong with you lately? First, visiting the human world, now disgracing yourself in front of His majesty. Are you insane?"

"Mother, I will go apologise to him now and be on my best behaviour. OK? Just ask father to help you in the kitchen for 5 minutes and I will make it up to you all," Kyree's smirk had faded to a soft smile, the one he knew broke down his mother's anger every time.

"5 minutes, young man," she concurred, entering back into the living room where Orion was stood speaking to Ambrose. Kyree followed, suppressing the smirk that threatened to take over his face once again. Whispering something in her husband's ear, Yennifer managed to remove him from the room, leaving Kyree alone with Ambrose and the two other men.

"Politician, huh?" Kyree was the first to speak, but Ambrose didn't seem to be finding the situation amusing at all.

"I thought you were human," Ambrose seethed, his eyes that soulless black that Kyree found oh so very attractive in demon men, "if I had known what you were, last night would not have happened."