Chapter 21

Saige, terror dulling her glistening emerald eyes, merely stared up at the creature, her petite body trembling. She was surveying it, her pupils dilating and constricting as they flittered over it's face, searching for something to grasp onto, something to trust.

"Are you calm?" the creature asked, it's own darkened eyes latched onto Saige's, "do you trust me?" Saige nodded weakly, seeming strong despite the tear trickling down her pale cheek. Cautiously, the creature removed it's enormous hand from Saige's mouth, pity beating in it's heart when she let out a soft whimper.

"H-How?" she whispered incredulously, "i-is this a normal demon thing? Is this gonna happen to me?" the creature backed up slowly, assuming Saige would want some distance yet she followed, reaching out to run the backs of her knuckles down the skin of the creature.

"No, this is definitely not normal," the creature murmured, trying to focus on Saige's face rather than her freezing hand trailing ice down it's cheek. She gasped softly as two lines of frost followed the track of her fingers, turning the amber veins a deep blue.

"What are you?" she breathed, the soft pads of her fingertips continuing their path down the creature's neck and over it's collarbone. The creature sucked in a laboured breath, a shudder running through it as her fingers neared the brand. The second her skin made contact with the blackened mark, the deep amber glow returned, growing to a blinding peak.

When the light finally dimmed, the creature was gone and in it's placed was Kyree and Ambrose, hands still clasped together. Stunned, the two demon men and their daughter merely stared at one another, wondering who would be the first to muster up some form of communication.

"That was..." Ambrose began, stroking his fingers up the brand, feeling the subtle burning sear through his flesh.

"Amazing," Kyree finished his lover's sentence, a broad grin on his lips, "Amb, that was fucking amazing. Tell me you felt it, felt the power surging through that thing. It was exhilarating," Ambrose chuckled softly at Kyree's excitement, snaking an arm around his demon's waist and pressing a chaste kiss to his lips.

"I did feel pretty invincible, baby," Kyree returned the gesture by wrapping his own arm around Ambrose's waist, adding his own twist by giving his lover's ass a swift caress.

"Kyree Landon, do not grope me in front of our daughter," Ambrose scolded playfully, leaning in close and catching Kyree's earlobe between his perfect teeth, "not that I don't love your hands all over me," Ambrose purred, a smirk on his lips.

"Ew, dads, stop," the playful nature between the two men dissipated instantly at one little word in Saige's sentence. Their gazes both snapped to her, startled eyes meeting nervous ones that averted instantly to the floor.

"You've never called us that before," Kyree marvelled, observing Saige's sudden fidgety behaviour.

"Sorry, it just slipped out," she murmured, her cheeks flushed and her lip caught between her teeth. Kyree exchanged a compassionate smile with Ambrose.

"Let it slip more often, my dear," Saige looked up, her emerald eyes somehow lighting up more than they already were, sharing in the two men's smiles.

"OK, anyway, I came down to wake you because Lucifer wants breakfast with us all, he wants to talk about tomorrow night," Kyree's brows furrowed in a bemused manner.

"Tomorrow night?"

"Coronation," Ambrose groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose as the stress headache that had plagued him for the last month weaselled its way back into his mind, "I completely forget with everything that was going on with your trial and now this. God, I haven't even got a suit for you since..." Ambrose trailed off, obviously not wanting to relive the fact that his lover was almost taken from him the previous night.