Chapter 7

Kyree realised very quickly that arguing with Ambrose was pointless, he just wouldn't give in. He could see the links between Ambrose and the Lord easily when he acted this way, never giving up until he got his way.

"Where did you learn how to cook?" Ambrose's voice drifted over the soft music playing from the stereo sat on the countertop in the corner of the kitchen.

"Alexander taught me, he didn't want the chance that I would poison him," a ghost of a smile worked its way onto Kyree's dark lips as he continued to slice away at the slab of raw red meat on the chopping board. Out of the corner of his eye, Kyree could just about see Anubis watching him cook with a frown on his face.

"I'm not going to poison Ambrose, Anubis, don't worry. I'm not stupid enough to do it with the both of you around," Kyree referenced Osiris but he wasn't entirely sure where the other demon guard had gone to. As Kyree slid the pieces of meat into the sizzling frying pan, he felt the familiar sensation of Ambrose's warm fingers grazing over his bare hips. With the condo being particularly warm inside compared to the balcony, Kyree opted to leave his shirt off, knowing he would feel no pain if oil spilt onto his skin. He had hellfire in his veins, nothing could burn him.

"What are you doing?" Kyree asked softly, suppressing the growl of pleasure that threatened to leave his lips. Ambrose's chest brushing against Kyree's bare back as his fingers trailed around to his abs reminded him of their first night together, awakening a yearning for more than he could not possibly act on.

"Helping," Ambrose rested his chin on Kyree's broad shoulder, stroking his hands down Kyree's forearms, resting his hands over his.

"More like seducing," Kyree whispered, trying unsuccessfully to keep his focus on the meat cooking in the pan. He didn't want to overcook the steaks, it wasn't that they were expensive, he just wanted to impress Ambrose.

"Maybe, I lost my appetite anyway, for food that is," Ambrose's fingers rested on the worn leather belt, just skimming the gold metal of the buckle. Kyree wanted to melt back into Ambrose's arms, to feel the pleasure he had felt that first night. Yet he knew he couldn't, being with a man who was engaged didn't feel right, even if Ambrose wasn't interested in his fiance, Kyree had brought up to know better.

"Ambrose," Kyree said softly, shifting his hips slightly in the hopes Ambrose would grasp his apprehension, "stop," Ambrose's lips left a trail of fire in their path along Kyree's neck. It was getting more and more difficult to resist Ambrose's advances, but the rage from his father instantly sobered Kyree.

"Stop," Kyree said, his tone more forceful as he removed Ambrose's hands from his hips and moved out of his grasp. Ambrose's dark eyes instantly flared with worry in their grey-blue mixture.

"Did I do something wrong?" he asked, his voice much quieter, a soft frown on his face, "Ky, you gotta tell me if I'm pushing you too far. I can't read minds, y'know," Kyree sighed, not really sure how to explain his discomfort. He wanted Ambrose, in every way, yet he knew he couldn't have him. Kyree still had feelings for Alexander and, despite so desperately wanting to experiment more with whatever he had with Ambrose, he saw himself as dangerous. The last thing he wanted to do was hurt Ambrose again, he didn't think he could deal with the guilt for a second time.

"I gotta make these steaks," Kyree merely grumbled, slumping in front of the cooker again, ensuring his back was to Ambrose so he didn't have to see his bemused expression.

"Is this about what your father said?" Ambrose knew Kyree better than he knew himself, yet he had always had a knack for reading people anyway, "because he had no right to say any of it. He doesn't know the full story, he probably wouldn't care if I told him. He seems to be a stubborn, old man intent on ruining your happiness for you. I'm not letting that happen," Kyree remained silent, he had hurt Ambrose enough, speaking would only worsen the effect, "Ky, fucking talk to me. Is this about your father or not?"