Chapter 30

"Must you drag me to this?" Kyree whined, surveying Ambrose's body as he changed into a pair of deep red sweatpants and a black t-shirt that hugged his figure, "I'd much rather we spent today alone, someone didn't let me get much sleep last night."

"Are you complaining about last night?" Ambrose cocked an eyebrow at his fiance, who was smirking back at him silently, "I didn't think so. And you have to come with me because I refuse to pick anyone who isn't as good as you. After what happened to Saige last week, we need better security," Kyree's playful mood was snuffed out as the thoughts of Tyrell Kaine returned to his mind.

"OK, you have a point," Kyree agreed as Ambrose threw a pair of black sweatpants and a matching black t-shirt, instructing him to change quickly or else they would be late.

"You're the king, babe, you're allowed to be late," Kyree purposefully took his time getting changed, not enjoying the prospect of helping Ambrose choose a knight. He had trained for the job for a long time, seeing someone else get it was difficult for him.

"Hey, you OK?" Ambrose cupped Kyree's cheek, noticing his fiance's silent and stony demeanour, "we talked about this, baby," Kyree forced a lopsided smile, resting his own hands on Ambrose's hips.

"I know, I'm fine," Kyree knew Ambrose would see right through his lie but tried it anyway, "we better get going, since you don't want to be late," thankfully, Ambrose didn't continue to pester Kyree, instead simply walked with him through the endless hallways, an arm draped loosely around his fiance's waist.

Ambrose led Kyree to a much larger home gym type room. Osiris and Anubis were stood either side of the doors as they entered, surveying the cluster of men and women hoping to win the position of being Ambrose's knight. They had been talking previously but had fallen silent the second their eyes landed on Ambrose and Kyree.

"Good morning," Ambrose said simply, a flurry of nods being his only reply. Kyree chuckled softly, everyone was so deathly afraid to speak to Ambrose, some were even avoiding eye contact, but they had no qualms for staring at Kyree.

"I was not expecting so many of you, maybe this will last longer than I had assumed," Ambrose's gaze flickered across the demons before him, "each of you have been training to be a knight of hell for the majority of your lives, today only one of you will get that position. So, let us begin," Ambrose instructed each to fight another of the same build and stature, weaselling out the weaker ones easily. That left them with only 7, 2 women and 5 men. Ambrose stood from his place on Kyree's lap, tugging his fiance up as well, who had previously been daydreaming of being somewhere more interesting.

"You have all proved you are better than your equals, but the true test is if you can beat my fiance, Kyree, the only demon worthy of being a knight in my eyes," the remaining demons surveyed Kyree, looking for non-existent weak points to exploit. Kyree hadn't trained recently, but his body had not forgotten what it had been taught. His muscles were strong and well defined, and his reflexes rivalled that of a lion. He doubted many, if any, would beat him.

"Hold my ring, babe," Kyree dropped his beautiful engagement ring into Ambrose's outstretched palm, pressing a chaste kiss to his fiance's lips before taking to the mat against one of the two female demons.

The first three demons were easy pickings for Kyree, getting through them in less than 15 minutes. The fourth and fifth actually put up a better fight, but still succumbed to Kyree's superior techniques. As the sixth took his position opposite Kyree, he had a smug smirk on his lips, Kyree knew it would be quite satisfying to slap that look right off his face.

"I've heard of you," the demon began, "the infamous Kyree Landon. Slaughterer, murderer, faggot," Kyree didn't even have time to get angry before Abigor took his place, fuelled by Ambrose's rage. The demon's offensive demeanour crumbled, he had obviously heard of Abigor too.

The final demon awaiting his turn to fight backed away slightly, never taking his eyes from Abigor as the beast growled softly, his darkened stare on the offending creature in front of him. Other demons that had lost but lingered to observe who became the knight also stepped back, not wanting to get caught in Abigor's line of fire.

The demon didn't stand a chance against Abigor. He scrambled backwards as Abigor's hand reached out and grasped his shoulder, tugging him closer to the creature. Apologies spilt from the demon's mouth as he tried to plead for his life. Abigor didn't care, the demon had offended his Masters, he deserved worse than death.

There was a loud crunching sound of bone-shattering as the demon's skull caved in under Abigor's hand. Blood seemed to spatter on everything, most caught on Abigor's torso and arms as the corpse fell to the mat. Abigor wrung his hands together, collecting the pieces of bone and brain into his palms before shaking it onto the floor with soft splattering sounds that made quite a few of the other demons in the room feel queasy.

"And you say I have a temper," Kyree murmured as he and Ambrose replaced Abigor, "come here," Kyree engulfed Ambrose in a hug, content that Ambrose reciprocated instantly, burying his face in the crook of Kyree's neck as he took long, laboured breaths.

"May I just say, Your Majesties," Kyree glanced up to see the final demon he had yet to fight with a soft smile on his face, "that was pretty fucking awesome," Kyree chuckled softly at the demon's comment.

"Your name?"

"Farell. Farell Birk," Ambrose's head shot up at the demon's comment, his eyes scrutinizing the male stood not too far away from them.

"Your father was Lionel Birk?" the demon nodded, a glint of pride in his eyes, "he was my father's knight, I knew him fondly growing up. I'm so sorry for your loss, he was a noble man," Farell nodded curtly, his gaze faltering slightly, when Ambrose's attention turned to Kyree, "Lionel gave his life to protect my father... well, actually to protect me. I was only young, and there was a group of lesser demons growing restless, not agreeing with the way my father was ruling. They ended up storming the palace and, to spare you the details, Lionel died ensuring no harm came to me. I will be eternally grateful," Kyree smiled warmly, glancing toward Farell, who was clearly biting back a few tears.

"Well, let's see if you live up to your father's legend," Ambrose peppered a few kisses to Kyree's lips, muttering something about love, before moving back off the mat. Farell's build rivalled that of Kyree's, his arms and torso covered in thickened muscles. He had styled chocolate brown hair that matched his not overtly bushy beard and was almost covered in ink. Kyree actually found the man quite attractive, but he came nowhere close to Ambrose's beauty.

Kyree barely dodged the fist thrown at him, roused instantly from his thoughts as two more narrowly missed him. It was quite a few minutes before either actually landed a hit. It was when Farell's left fist came into contact with Kyree's jaw that he felt the brand begin to glow. Wiping away the blood from his lip and holding one hand out to Ambrose, Kyree focused his swimming gaze.

"I'm fine, babe," Kyree murmured, ensuring Ambrose didn't summon Abigor and tear apart Farell as well. Farell moved in to land another hit but as he lifted his fist the doors to the gym swung open.

A petite woman stumbled in, muttering something over and over, her pale blue eyes wild with fear. Her gaze flittered over the demons in the room as if she was searching for something in particular. Osiris and Anubis tensed, but Ambrose waved them away, stepping closer to the frightened woman.

"Are you alright, my dear? How did you get into this building?" Ambrose asked gently, catching the woman's attention.

"A-Are you K-Kyree Landon?" she stammered, her face contorted into an expression of agony, yet also looking as if she was on the precipice of blacking out, "I-I need Kyree L-Landon," her entire body was pale and trembling as a tear trickled down her ashen cheek.

"No, my dear, what do you need Kyree for?" the woman opened her mouth to speak but her legs gave out from under her before she could. Ambrose caught her easily, lowering her to the ground, repeating his question, hoping for a cognitive answer before she passed out.

"He's..." the woman's eyelids were drooping as she tried desperately to remain awake, "he's my father..." she whispered just as her body gave out and she finally succumbed to the dark abyss.