Chapter 18

Kyree was glad he was sat when his knees began to feel weak, his head starting to spin. The world rocked as his gaze somehow remained on Ambrose, that was until his lover became two men, then three.

"Kyree, breathe!" Ambrose's voice echoed around Kyree's head, desperation ringing in his ears. Kyree hadn't noticed it had been almost a minute since he had taken a breath, every fibre, organ and bone in his body paralysed with the realisation of his mistake.

As he inhaled forcefully, Kyree's chest heaved, his body silently scolding him for inhibiting such essentials. Ambrose's tight grip on Kyree's hands seemed to be the only thing keeping grounded, that and his new daughter laid next to him.

"She can't be," Kyree uttered softly, "her younger brother, he would be 20 now, she has to be older than that. A-And she was served in a bar, Amb, she was-" Kyree was babbling, clinging desperately to the fabrications that Saige had told him. He was drowning in fear, in regret, in emotion.

"She lied, Ky," Ambrose said bluntly, his gaze dropping to Kyree's knees, obviously unable to hold the eye contact with his fearful lover.

"What do I do, Amb?" Ambrose had not heard Kyree sound so vulnerable since he had first told him about Alexander, and what had followed that discussion was not a particularly happy memory for either of them.

"Kill her, no one would ever find out that way. You would be safe," Kyree's fear fizzled away as the tsunami of rage washed through his mind at the thought of harming Saige. She was his daughter now, and should have been Ambrose's too. Kyree wrenched his hands from Ambrose's grip, creating distance between them as he paced across the living room, trying to contain the paternal instinct to give Ambrose a black eye for suggesting he murder his own daughter.

"I can't kill her," Kyree seethed, refraining from making eye contact with Ambrose.

"Then we leave together and I'll get Osiris to deal with it. Kyree, please, you'll never see a body, he'll make it painless-" allowing the fury to take control for just a second, Kyree slammed Ambrose into the nearest wall, eliciting a soft groan and causing a moderately sized crack to begin a climb up said wall.

"No," Kyree growled, his face mere inches from Ambrose's and his hands clenched tightly around Ambrose's shirt collar, "you will not harm her," Ambrose remained irritatingly calm, resting his hands gently on Kyree's forearms, awaiting the dark cloud in his lover's mind to drift away.

"Baby, please, you don't deserve the punishment for this. She lied to you, please, let me fix this for you. Your bond isn't complete, she's not awake yet," Ambrose suddenly looked defeated, weary, frightened. Kyree loosened his grip, allowing Ambrose to rest his head on his shoulder and wrap his arms around Kyree's waist. Kyree glanced toward the couch and sighed, holding Ambrose against him in a tighter grip.

"Yes, she is," Kyree murmured, his eyes remaining on Saige's tear stained face.

"I'm sorry, Kyree," she whispered, her voice raspy due to her recent death, "I'm so so sorry. I didn't know, I swear to God I wouldn't have asked if I didn't know," tears began to flow from her emerald eyes once again, yet Kyree merely shook his head lightly, a lopsided smile on his lips.

"Don't apologize, it was my own fault. I should have been more careful, I should have asked your age. I just assumed-"

"Kill me, Kyree," Saige interrupted, her eyes wide with empathy for her new father, "Kyree, please, you have to kill me. You have to. This is my fault, you can't take the blame for this. Kill me, please," Saige begged, rising to her feet on wobbly legs, similar to a newborn deer. In a sense, she was a newborn animal, born anew as a demon.